Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know where I can find a photo album of "factory" 15" wheels that were/are available for the Cobalt? I'm trying to identify a set of wheels I saw on a Cobalt but I'm not sure if they are factory or aftermarket. I have Googled "Cobalt factory wheels" and so far cannot find another Cobalt with these same wheels.

I was driving down the road in my Cobalt and noticed another Cobalt driving in the passing lane. When we both came to a stop light I noticed the wheels on his car and really liked them. Unfortunatley I was too far back to take a photo or ask him if they were factory.

I believe they were factory alloys. Instead of a star pattern they are more of a multispoke design.

I'd like to replace the 15" steelies on my '07 with a set of 15" factory alloys. I've got fairly new tires.

I'd really like to stick with factory rims because most aftermarket rims I've seen are hard to balance. They are not made for high speed smoothness but more for the "Bling" factor.

Most lack an outer lip so clip-on wheel weights won't fit and they cannot be properly balanced past 50 mph.

I had to take my 68 Ford to several tire shops before they finally got it acceptable. They finally used stick-on weights inside the rims. Stay away from Pacer brand wheels. They suck as far as balancing is concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
As far as the balancing is concerned, are you sure it is not the shop and incompetant people. Motorcycles only use stick on weights and have no issues. I have stick on on both my Ram and Cobalt and have no issues. SOme shops and people do nto know how to properly balance tires( the machine actually balances at 50 MPH plus) or at least the new machines. Try going to another shop or spend the money of good rims. When I had the new tires put on the front of my Cobalt, they showed me a small bend in the rimm and they got the rim and tire balanced perfect (8,000 miles since install and 5,000 of them highway).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as the balancing is concerned, are you sure it is not the shop and incompetant people. Motorcycles only use stick on weights and have no issues. I have stick on on both my Ram and Cobalt and have no issues. SOme shops and people do nto know how to properly balance tires( the machine actually balances at 50 MPH plus) or at least the new machines. Try going to another shop or spend the money of good rims. When I had the new tires put on the front of my Cobalt, they showed me a small bend in the rimm and they got the rim and tire balanced perfect (8,000 miles since install and 5,000 of them highway).

They are incompetant.

It took me several years to realize that most shops will automatically disregard putting wheel weights on the outside of a shiney aftermarket rim.

When I asked them why, they said most people don't like outer wheel weights because they think they are ugly so they don't bother asking people what they want.

I had to practically beg this one guy to install weights on my Fiat Spider:

He was like, "It's gonna scratch your wheels!!". I'm like, "I know how to polish metal, if I get new tires and it leaves a scratch or white spot from the old weight I can polish it out". I explained that the car was terrible to drive above 50 mph and was not fun anymore do to the steering wheel vibration. So he balanced both sides of the tire and no more shimmy.

Sears usually does a good job at balancing tires and wheel alignments so I've been buying my tires from them lately.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
these are my factory

That's not them. These were more of a multispoke design. Similiar to these

I really like these wheels:

The company is called Axis Shine. I'm not sure if they are available in 15" or not. It looks like I may just wait until I wear the tires out since there seems to be more of a variety in 16" wheels.

One thought would be to respray the factory steelies with gloss black paint, install some beauty rings and a chrome center cap that fits under the lug nuts. Along with some chrome lug nuts. Sort of an old school look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
720 Posts
They must have been aftermarket then. The first pictures someone posted is the only set of factory alloys that are 15". These:

Then there are factory 16" which are these:

And factory upgrade 16" which are these:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.