Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how deep the sub box that comes with the stock pioneer stereo is? I've got an extra 10' rockford sitting around and was thinking of putting it in...

·
Registered
114 Posts
my pioneer sub came embedded into the left side of my trunk. is this the same thing as OPs?

also, would it sound better in a box instead of where it is now?

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the one I'm talking about (embedded on the left side)

·
Registered
931 Posts
i dont know how big yer rockford is.. but i DO know that the factory sub incloser.. is very shallow...u might not be able to pull that off... depeneding on the dept of yer rockford..

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

besides... the more airspace u have.. the better its gunna sound..

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want to take up to much space in the trunk, got way to much going on in there already :p I'll give it a try this weekend...

·
Registered
931 Posts
yeah keep my posted id like to see if it works

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I would suggest getting a bigger box to put the Rockford in. If you make your own with fiberglass or buy one custom box moulded to the side it would be way better. But stock box will definitley not Let the sub's full potential out. Let us know what happens though! You can get a simple aftermarket single sub box for relatively cheap and it will def be better.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on eventually getting my whole stereo system redone eventually, but after I tint my car tomorrow I'm gonna be broke ass so I'm trying to think of some free (or REALLY cheap) things to do with my new addiction...so throwing my extra sub in seemed like a good idea to try out :). Other plans include debadging and headlight painting :)

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
where u getting ur tint done at?

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Remember u wont be able to roll down ur windows for like 3 days and not be able to wash them for like 30

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
u sure they do a good job? 120 seems pretty cheap. I got mines done for 220

·
Registered
77 Posts
You should be able to find the specs for your sub some where online, that should let you know how much cubic air space is recommended.

Infact roxford has a box advisor lmao, you can find it while looking at an item to the right of specs.

Roughly 14" x 17" x 8", but I don't think it is that easy airflow is crucial I think. I will ask my bro-inlaw who is an audio engineer what he has to say. I swear my man can hear anything.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Average price I've was quoted at the 5 or 6 places I called was 140-160. This place is usually abiut 160 but I'm getting hooked up (again)

·
Registered
931 Posts
I plan on eventually getting my whole stereo system redone eventually, but after I tint my car tomorrow I'm gonna be broke ass so I'm trying to think of some free (or REALLY cheap) things to do with my new addiction...so throwing my extra sub in seemed like a good idea to try out :). Other plans include debadging and headlight painting :)
...yeah bro go for it... im not really sure how huge the bass performance gain will be with the original amp (my car didnt come with a factory sub)... but its worth a shot... hey no hurt in a free mod ehh??

btw i payed 190 for all my windows...

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I know this isn't gonna get me great sound or nothing, but if it sounds better for now, then hey right on! Free upgrade! If it sounds the same W/E and if it sounds worse put the stock one back in and no harm no foul!
As for the tint, I'm not sure how great of a job this place does, I'll see if I can find someone who knows...

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
The Pioneer box (factory) pretty much sits fluch in that little space inteh left rear corner of the trunk. I have that and a small amp in my LS, got the box and woofer off of Ebay for $57 to my door.

·
Registered
114 Posts
How hard would it be to actually put the sub in a box? I know its not difficult to actually put it in a box, but would i have to take the wires out and move them or anything? and is there gonna be a giant hole in the side of my trunk?

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried sticking my rockford in tonight and...no dice! Will be rockin stock sounds till i save enough for a decent sound system...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.