Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago was thanksgiving, and i had some family over.
Being that the family had not seen my cobalt yet, i gave them a little tour of the car, nothing big.
Having the base-line car, i do not have power locks.
I had locked my driver door after the tour was done, but completely forgot about the passenger door.

Over thanksgiving night, someone walked down my driveway, opened my passenger door and retrieved my iPod and Radar Detector, and left.
iPod Nano 4th generation, 16 gb - about 160$
Cobra Radar detector - 100$

There were 3 other cars in my driveway, a chevrolet venture (minivan) and chevrolet impala, but those were locked up.

We called the cops, and there was basically nothing they could do, but they will let me know if any of the items turn up. yeahhhhrighttttt.
And when the cop asked what items were missing, and i told him the radar detector, he told me how im not supposed to have that. they are legal in new york!

And its not like i live in a bad neighborhood! i live in a suburb, and the crime rate here is very low.

it is just appalling at how much disrespect someone has to have to steal someone elses belongings!

·
Registered
810 Posts
ya that sucks , that happened to my neighbor they got away with his laptop and his gps.. where in Ny are you?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Did you record serial numbers? In most states pawn shops have to turn in serial numbers to the local law enforcement to verify ownership of the property (whether or not the stuff is stolen).

·
Registered
455 Posts
where at in Putnam are you? I'm in Dutchess. Sucks to hear about your stuff

·
Registered
101 Posts
ya man i live in newburgh and the first thing i learned while living here is lock them doors, and radar detectors are not illegal in NY, but if you get pulled over, it kinda offends cops

·
Registered
567 Posts
I got my car broken into a few months ago, but thankfully the police force pursued it and i got restitution....GPS and monster cables stolen.....$320 worth of stuff....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Funny thing is that I just ordered a 16gb iPod nano 4th gen a few days ago :p

But sorry to hear man, what I recommend is looking on craigslist or checking local pawn shops to see if the robber is trying to get rid of the items fast.

Definitely invest in some door actuators so you can get power locks...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know it makes you feel violated, however you may still be lucky. I once had a cheap radar detector stolen from my car that was locked. The thugs just broke out my driver side door glass that cost me more to fix than my detector. The lesson I learned the hard way was to never leave anything of value visable in your car. Hide it under the seat or in the glove box or the other hidden storage areas or just take it with you. It's the world we live in now. I'm glad I'm old enough to remember a time when no one had to lock their doors and still felt safe.

·
Registered
429 Posts
yea,really,even if you lock your doors,its not gonna stop somebody from getting in ur car. if they really want it and want to go thru with it,they will find a way in (usually a rock and window) this all happened to my brothers trucks one night and all 3 of his trucks were locked,and whoever stole 2 radar detectors,a bunch of CDs, a radio,and alot of other stuff

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live in Mahopac, its a part of Carmel.
and yeah i usually lock the doors, but i just didnt remember that once. i bet ill never forget again!
i had a receipt for the detector but there was no serial number located on it, and no longer had the ipod receipt :(

he said that if someone is to be pulled over with numerous electronics, such as having like 4 ipods, then they will question it and possibly take them in.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You should move to Mississippi. Down here there are virtually no gun laws except you have to be 18 to purchase one. As you can expect, nobody steals stuff or breaks into peoples homes down here. lol
PS...hope you get your stuff back :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have manual locks too and just about everyone who rides in my car forgets that vehicles without power locks still exist so I end up checking them all the time. Sucks that your stuff got stolen though, I remember when someone stole my friends ipod out of his silverado... the tiny side window on the drivers side was broken from when he locked his keys in the car and a small thief managed to crawl through it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.