Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought it was about time to make one of these, so here goes.

History:

I bought this car on a whim. Heard it came to auction, read the specs and put in a bid. All said and done it set me back $6100 tax-in w/105k kilometers on the clock, which was a steal considering the amount of car I'd be getting for the money. Unfortunately, this meant I needed to dump the '12 Elantra I had just picked up some time before, but that's another story.

Maintenance:

Surprisingly little. The car is a stripper, besides the V6, no other option boxes were ticked so there isn't much to go wrong. I've replaced the battery, one 0² sensor, one headlight bulb, both windshield washer nozzles, clutch safety switch is dead (unplugged it) and a vent slider fell out. All minor stuff. I've put full synthetic oil in the motor and nothing short of 91 in the tank. She runs well, although the engine ticks rather loudly when it's cold. Doesn't seem to affect performance, and goes away after a few miles.

Managed to keep it stock for over a year, but nothing lasts forever.

Engine/Power:

Injen CAI
RRE GT headers
Injen 3" catback
TB bypass
Hackish 94 octane tune

Suspension/Handling:

Tanabe STB w/stock bar
Tanabe UB
Progress RSB
Moog Problem Solver rear links
Zmotorsports rear brace
Continental ExtremeContact DW tires

Drivetrain:

TWM GS STS w/Big Type R knob & aluminum base bushings
Torque Solution shifter cable bushings

Aesthetics/Misc:

Zmotorsports door pull brackets
Mitsubishi branded seatbelt cushions (salvaged)
RRE license plate frame

Coming Soon

Energy Suspension poly mounts/bushings
Redline MT-90 transmission fluid

Plans:

I'd like to get this thing on a track, so there's still much to do. Power is more than adequate for now, so I'm looking to put some more time/money into suspension bits. I'm hoping to get a good set of coilovers, poly mounts/bushings all around and sticky tires. Once I can take a corner, I'll worry about the other stuff, but those are the short term goals for now. I'll keep this updated as I go.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I liked those when they first hit. Liked the v6's power at the time. Still do not mind them. I liked how you got a sweet sound system right from the factory. Looks good man
Thanks. The car's saving grace is the engine. 263hp/260tq NA by mid 2000s standards wasn't too bad (leaps ahead of last gen's 200/205) and the '09+ facelift always looks sharp. Doesn't have the optional Rockford Fosgate stereo and sub unfortunately,.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Car looks good. You should get some wheels. A guy I knew in highschool had a white one with a big spoiler and body kit. I think it was all fmfrom the factory though

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car looks good. You should get some wheels. A guy I knew in highschool had a white one with a big spoiler and body kit. I think it was all fmfrom the factory though
Could've been the SE trim (which as far as I know was purely cosmetic). I've debated on wheels for awhile. Naturally I'd want something lightweight and with a bigger contact patch, but at the same time want to maintain the stock look while saving some coin. This spring I need to invest in a set of tires as my Falkens are cooked. Thinking Pilot Super Sports on 17s.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cable bushings are in. Simple job became needlessly difficult when trying to pry off a stock bushing that was seized on real tight. Hit it with a propane torch, doused it in WD-40, grabbed it with Vice-Grips and knocked it out with a BFH.

From the bag

Stock vs. TS bushing

What's left of the stocker

Finished product

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
If you have a fountain of trans fluid, you might have a problem.

It would also smell really, really bad.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
RRE headers are installed. First impression: it's a bit buzzy. You don't hear it as much in the car, but it's there. Between 3-4k rpm it's more noticeable (no buzz at all under 2k). Not the most irritating thing in the world though, I practically forgot about it by the time I got home. The throttle seems more sensitive and will react instantly to minor movements. I didn't change my driving style in the least bit and have peeled the tires on half throttle all around town. I didn't get a chance to flog it much as there was a lot of traffic, but I'm fairly certain it picked up a few ponies at the shop.

I smelled fuel just after starting the car up for the first time. Car runs very well with no CEL (yet).

Stock manifolds

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Is that the stock exhaust? Has a pretty nice sound, I'd say.

Those stock manifolds didn't actually look half bad - but the headers are definitely a large improvement. Are they stainless?

Looks like installing them wouldn't have been too bad - getting the stockers off would be the hassle.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that the stock exhaust? Has a pretty nice sound, I'd say.

Those stock manifolds didn't actually look half bad - but the headers are definitely a large improvement. Are they stainless?

Looks like installing them wouldn't have been too bad - getting the stockers off would be the hassle.
Yes, stock catback. Headers are stainless.

You're right, the real battle is removing the stock manifolds. Front one isn't too bad, but the rear one won't actually clear when unbolted. RRE recommends removing the passenger side axle to get it off the car. Add to that 10 years of Quebec salt & snow and countless hot/cold cycles, it must've been a real pita to deal with lol

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Yes, and the CCCs certainly don't help clearances one bit.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Nice. Hopefully it doesn't sound too fart-canny.

Question, though, am I to assume any I see with dual exhaust outlets are not a factory exhaust?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.