Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice. Hopefully it doesn't sound too fart-canny.

Question, though, am I to assume any I see with dual exhaust outlets are not a factory exhaust?
The dual exhausts were factory after the '09 refresh (because of which the engine was rated at 265hp, up 2 from the '06-'08s)

However, no aftermarket company has made an exhaust system specifically for it, so it's one step forward and two back for those.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Ahh, okay, must've been an '09+ one.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Interesting note: piping is too long and won't clear. Had to take a hacksaw to it and cut out a 1.5" section before the muffler meets the mid-pipe. Not a big deal, but a nuisance/design flaw just the same.
I actually need to do that with my ZZP catback. Tailpipe sticks out WAY too far. Thinking about just taking it to an exhaust shop to have them clean up the whole installation & fitment.

Stupid resonator fell off the exhaust hook yesterday. Made a terrible noise clanging against the underbody.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I actually need to do that with my ZZP catback. Tailpipe sticks out WAY too far. Thinking about just taking it to an exhaust shop to have them clean up the whole installation & fitment.

Stupid resonator fell off the exhaust hook yesterday. Made a terrible noise clanging against the underbody.
Yeah, I had the same thoughts about the GMPP catback. Fitments was good, but it stuck out too far and looked a bit too showy for my tastes. Is it common on all Cobalt catback's to do that?

Hope you get that resonator issue sorted.

Zmotorsports rear brace is in. The struggle was real.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Spent the better part of yesterday flashing the car up in Gatineau with my tuner. It's set up to run 94 pump. Governor was bumped up to Warp 9 (510 km/h), rev limiter to 7200, sharpened up the throttle a fair deal and he even integrated a launch control feature (which unfortunately I cannot currently use because my clutch safety switch is defective). He took his time to really get the tune running perfect and the car is noticably quicker. Should be putting down somewhere in the 280-290whp range.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It was a 2-for-1 day, got both the Continental summer tires installed and did the coolant bypass. Used a fresh piece of copper pipe we had lying around the shop which saved me a trip to Canadian Tire. Been wet and rainy all week so no chance to really make use of the sticky rubber.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Those are going to hook a whole lot harder for ya!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Those tires don't have any tread, in case you were not aware. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
There's some tread.. you can still see most of the lines at least haha

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Had some time to kill today, so did the backseat and cargo liner delete. Two bolts, two nuts, one 12mm socket. Took maybe 5 minutes to do the work.

Weighed the back seats on my scale. The seat backs weigh 7lbs each (14lbs total) and the cushion weighs 8lbs. Which means a total weight savings of 22lbs. Not bad.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Was that video a full pull? I didn't hear any shifts!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Was that video a full pull? I didn't hear any shifts!
Dyno runs are normally only done in one gear. It was already in 4th and at the right RPM before the video started.

Reactions: Thogan3

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Haven't updated this in awhile. A lot has happened since I dyno'd. Namely I destroyed the stock clutch on the last night of drags and couldn't exceed ¼ throttle or it'd slip real bad. Purchased a Stage 4 Bully sprung six-puck clutch, Aasco 11# flywheel, Quaife helical LSD and a few transmission internals. Waited out the winter, then got around to the install last week. There was an issue with the OEM dual mass I had swapped in last minute not fitting right and getting the wrong sleeve on part of the poly motor mounts, but otherwise it went well. The job is done, the money paid and now all I gotta do is break it in before I get back out on the track. Hopefully I can get that done before it snows again. In Canada you never really know lol

Here are a few quick shots of the work

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Took a double take at your car on the hoist. That looks just like my dads shop

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.