Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going down to Vancouver to pick up a friend and eventually drag her back to Montreal. Thing is, the total distance is a few clicks shy of 10k. I'm going to change my oil in the next week or so and I wanted to know if it would be safe to make that trip on the same oil. I'm going to put Castrol Edge w/Syntec and a Fram filter. I usually do my changes at 5,000km. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I would imagine it would be OK.. but I'm not a mechanic. As long as you don't run on dirty oil for long

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
its full synthetic, you should be fine, just don't make a habit of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No problem with full synthetic. But may I suggest you use a filter design for synthetic oils. When you get to Vancouver change the filter and top up. WalMart had the purolator synthetic Oil filters on sale last week. I bought 6 @ 10 bucks each.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
After my first change in the balt from the dealer, I ran only Royal Purple 5-30 or AMSoil 5-30 (yes I know you northern guys can't get AMSoil up there), and I'd do my oil changes every 6k or so on RP and every 9k on AMSoil, and I tracked my car every weekend. And I had no ill effects for over a year. (I'm the guy who put 50k miles on my balt in the first year lol). And honestly I still had good clean oil in my car up until I blew a rod through the block on it from taking on water during hurricane Earl in 2010.

·
Registered
3 Posts
10Km only about 6000 miles... no problem on full synthetic, for that matter even good regular oil would probably be ok as you won't be running a cold engine or idling excessively.

Follow the Oil Life Monitor, though, and be aware on a long hot trip sometimes you use a bit more oil than normal, so keep it topped up.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
should be fine man, you'll just have to change your oil again when you get back.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
We do have Amsoil up here, very expensive though.
Here's the Purolator number Plain Jane...

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, thanks! I'll pick up a Purolator filter sometime next week, going to use my extra Fram filter when I get to Vancouver.

I don't trust my oil life monitor as it likes to frequently reset itself. With 5k on my oil right now it reads 87% and I know that ain't right. For what it's worth, I'm planning to go down in mid November, so it will be cold outside, especially at night.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Especially over the Rockies....

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
FRAM oil filters with GM products = bad juju sir. I use only AC Delco and heard scary stories from the previous eco-tec Saturn Ions having chunks of the oil filter get pushed into the oil valley :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.