Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone plasti dipped this style wheel? They are the ones currently on my car. I am trying to get color ideas. I am thinking either white, black, or gold/bronze. Any suggestions? Post pics if you can. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, was actually leaning towards bronze. I'll post pictures when I get it done. I am now looking into either buying black carpet or dying the grey carpet black. Any suggestions/ past experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Actually, I also have the 5 lug. That was just the picture I found on Google. Nice Cobalt butters. I'll most likely debadge the car and dip the wheels this weekend. Still looking for pointers on going from grey to black carpet... Or, if anyone has purchased carpet from somewhere, point me in that direction please.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've plastidipped my stock rims a couple times over the years to hide the paint chips (thanks for the quality paint gm!). It works very well and holds up nicely. Obviously the more coats you use, the less likely it will start to peel in the problem areas (lug holes, edges, lip). Just be sure get those areas good. The stuff is much more of a pain in the ass to peel off if its a thin coat. The thicker it is, the better it looks, longer it lasts, and is easier to remove when your ready for change. I finally broke down and just sanded down my rims and painted them with black satin enamel. Looks similar to plastidip, just more permanent... Obviously, lol. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I dipped one side white and one side black just to see which I liked better. So far, the chicks dig the white, guys like the black. I agree that thicker coats are easier to peel off, especially the overspray on the tires. I didn't spray the white thick enough to peel off with ease. So, I spent a while with a wire brush, gently scrubbing. Lesson learned. I'll post pictures soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, I dipped one side white and one side black just to see which I liked better. So far, the chicks dig the white, guys like the black. I agree that thicker coats are easier to peel off, especially the overspray on the tires. I didn't spray the white thick enough to peel off with ease. So, I spent a while with a wire brush, gently scrubbing. Lesson learned. I'll post pictures soon.
Use a deck of cards tucked into the gap between the lip of the rim and the tire all the way around. No need to clean the tire after ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As you can see the white overspray. I like the deck of cards idea. I'll have to try it when I decide what color I will keep.

And then the black... I have watched videos by dipyourcar guys and black is the base coat needed for bronze.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Not only did I dip my wheels this weekend, I also painted my headlight bezels, blacked out my front bowtie, and debadged the rest of the car. While I had the passenger side HL out, I noticed the intake tubing right below it. I read about the "mod," so I went ahead and pulled it off.

I didn't take pictures of the HL yet because they were my first set of HL to try painting so obviously, there are minor touch-ups,plus the clear lenses are far from clear at the moment.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

I totally forgot about the center caps. The reason I didn't do them is because I am missing one. Once I get another one I plan to do those.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like the white!

Already so many of us with blacked out wheels.

Plus the white goes with that laser blue colour really nicely.

The deck of cards trick is a life saver!

Here's a few snaps of my wheels this spring getting a fresh coat of primer and satin black enamel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.