Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in the process of meshing my lower grills. there are a couple areas that are well non existant and a few areas i sanded down a little to far. went to auto zone and they said they didnt have ANYTHING that would work... will bondo work or what. what should i use... also i cant find rattle can color match paint ne where

·
Registered
257 Posts
bondo is best...it's what i used to fill in the gap when i cut the cross bar on my upper grill...so far so good...no cracking or chipping

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thought... but it didnt say it could be used on plastic. i think i will just go get that... any idea on the paint. i am going to color match the black grill and paint my headlight... cant find the paint ne where.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i dont know what your local shops are but here we have house of color and other automotive paint shops. find a decent automotive paint and take your time w/ the primer and prep. Things will go a lot smoother if you take your time preping everything

·
Registered
51 Posts
plastic filler

I hope this helps. Im a body guy i work with this stuff every day. Bondo only sticks to bare metal. but there are some new products out there are made for plastic. Any glazing putty such as , Icing, Evercoat metalglaze, dolphin glaze will work but my suggestion is a product called polyfill. it come in squeze bottle and you mix hardner with it like a regular bondo. It lays out really smooth and will stick to any scuffed up paint. like a 180 grit or 320 grit. now if you trying to fill holes 3m just came out with a new product that is a rubber type mat with a sticky surface to one side. you can fill a hole as big as a golf ball and not worry about it. you use the mat as a backer and lay a plastic repair adhesive over it. after the plastic repair adhesive is cure you grind it off and skim it with polyfill. As for a plastic repair adhesive use 3m or Lord Fusor extreme bumper repair. Well I hope ive helped in some way and saved you the head ache of putting bondo over plastic. if you got anymore questoins just let me know.

Thanks.

Marcus
(Fast Inc.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i ended up using an epoxy filler. worked pretty good. still kinda working it tho. check out my other thread under interior and exterior full grill in progress

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.