Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sprayed my emblems. Took a picture with my phone and couldnt resist posting it up :D I love how the sun angle is just right :D Sorry forgot to take a before pic of the back and an after pic of the front. will post front tomorrow
Front before

Rear After

Next is rims. Havent decided if I want to do whole rim or just the flat outer part. anyone have pictures?

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

also going to darken the brake lights.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
plasti dip for the mother ****in win. On my TBSS i plastidipped the whole interior, my emblems, brack ducts, Wheels are coming next.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I really like how the "Cobalt" stands out in black. This may be a stupid question but is plastidip just like a spray paint in a can or what?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I really like how the "Cobalt" stands out in black. This may be a stupid question but is plastidip just like a spray paint in a can or what?
It's a rubber coating that you can peal off. And yes, it's in a spray can.

I've got my stock rims plastidipped for my winters. I don't have a pic of them on my car yet though.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Secret ingredient for the engine cover and all the black plastic under the hood and your mirrors (if they have black backs) is good old tire shine, it made mine look from old and worn to new and shiny, with the addition of my brand new aftermarket headlights, my 2006 is often confused with a newer model. Keep buffing it regularly, it will prevent them from .."graying out".

EDIT:

Do not forget the windshield wiper area, its plastic and is vulnerable to the suns rays, tire shine will protect it nice too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
plasti dip for the mother ****in win. On my TBSS i plastidipped the whole interior, my emblems, brack ducts, Wheels are coming next.
Yeah, tbh i didnt think I would like it. But it turned out really nice. For interior I wouldnt be able to do it, unless it was the dome light. I dont like the feel of it. and knowing it felt like that would make me touch, the otherwise never touched, pillar, and dash lol

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Thanks. Ive been debating on removing the LS and just leaving cobalt. and yup. its a spray. if you can get it in the states at Home depot, in canada its home hardware that carries it. Canada = 26 a can, US = 5/6 a can. Ill be picking up a few cans.

when u want it gone it just peels off.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

It's a rubber coating that you can peal off. And yes, it's in a spray can.

I've got my stock rims plastidipped for my winters. I don't have a pic of them on my car yet though.

Thanks, Thats exacly what i wanted. Now just for a picture with someone who plastidipped the outside part. I think i remember seeing one, but cant remember who had it :(

BTW any place where i can get the middle cover for the rims. 2 of mine got lost somehow :unsure:

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Secret ingredient for the engine cover and all the black plastic under the hood and your mirrors (if they have black backs) is good old tire shine, it made mine look from old and worn to new and shiny, with the addition of my brand new aftermarket headlights, my 2006 is often confused with a newer model. Keep buffing it regularly, it will prevent them from .."graying out".

EDIT:

Do not forget the windshield wiper area, its plastic and is vulnerable to the suns rays, tire shine will protect it nice too.
I actually saw a vid on that earlier this morning on OCC. I thought it was a good idea.

secret for getting crap out of your rim....purple power (We got it a while ago and never used it. its a all purpose cleaner/degreaser that youre suppose to dilute for most situations but not tires or rims. I sprayed it on and instantly a crapload of brown "crap" came off. and it made removing the brake dust, (brownish stuff on rims, im assuming thats what is) as easy as wiping it off with a rag.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
2 of mine have fallen out this winter too. You should be able to find them on EBay. Also, you might want to put a dab of glue in there next time (I'm going to do the same)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Im curious... If you plasti dip the outside emblems and letters, how durable is it? Will it last through rain and weather? And how about pressure washers, and car washes?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks masterz :D

09- cobalt, Ill take a look. I checked a while ago but i think they were a bit pricey. Well for something i assumed will fall out again.. :D would u recommend super glue or welding :D

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

09 xfe.

Ive only washed mine once now and it looks exact same. People have told me tho that its pretty durable. (remember it was made to coat tools to prevent corrosion in the first place)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Im curious... If you plasti dip the outside emblems and letters, how durable is it? Will it last through rain and weather? And how about pressure washers, and car washes?
its more durable then paint. I painted my front emblem, then got millions of rock chips in it. So i tried the plasti dip. its been months and months and no chips in it.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I've had mine done for about 8 months now and lots of highway driving (graveled roads) and at washes and it looks identical. It's actually more durable than paint

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Now how about the rims? I'm painting mine this summer but not sure if I should use a metal spray with lots of clear or plastidip.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
black, im going to plastidip mine

its going to cost ya probably 10-20max if you redo the rims with plastidip..and if youre not happy peal off. paint, well paint it if you dont like the look of plasti dip, but for the difference in amount of work/prep, and cleanup. id waste the 20 for a chance of it looking good.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Just so everyone knows, it takes a can and a half to do the rims and I'd definitely recommend it over paint.

@08SportSS. Why not take em off and plastidip them and just hold them up to your car and see if you like it debadged or black

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Just so everyone knows, it takes a can and a half to do the rims and I'd definitely recommend it over paint.

@08SportSS. Why not take em off and plastidip them and just hold them up to your car and see if you like it debadged or black
did you take the tires off the rim when you panted or I've heard of putting index cards inbetween, your method?

·
Registered
27 Posts
my boyfriend has plastidip on his wheels. just don't go thru an automatic car wash. you can still do the "do it yourself" wash at the car wash. plastidip is pretty cool though, i will admit, it turns out really nice. i would do it to my wheels but my dad won't let me..even though i paid for the mother effers. along with the car. i just wonder about taking the dip off. is it really as easy as the youtube videos make it look? someone let me know! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.