Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey y'all - so i FINALLY removed the front license plate from my bumper the other weekend. unfortunately, it left the holes i expected it to leave (tho i'd rather have them for now than that stupid plate)

however, with winter coming up (which equals salt and junk) i dont want the holes exposed and leave the possibility for rust. not to mention i'd just like to plain 'ol cover the holes.

i remember there being some way to mask up the holes with some kind of plugs or putty or such. any of you know what can be used? what has worked for you? and where i find the supplies?

much appreciated!

with plate:

without plate! wooo one step closer:

p.s. - i washed my car for probably the last time before next summer this past weekend. it's gotten quite chilly already. :sad:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
for just a quick fix you could just get some little bolts and paint the heads white till you can get them molded in. looks good though! i like it without the front plate.

·
Registered
931 Posts
hey man... HOW DID U GET THAT OFF??????? lol

·
Registered
931 Posts
FIGURES...one of the few things i did;nt try...owell i cant really do it neway cops here in jersey r GAGA for that front plate pluse i am already battin 1000 with my front window tints....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
FIGURES...one of the few things i did;nt try...owell i cant really do it neway cops here in jersey r GAGA for that front plate pluse i am already battin 1000 with my front window tints....
what did you do instead to try and gets your plate off?

Its plastic... It wont rust....
well i'm more concerned about the appearance

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alrighty, been doing some more research. found something that could work: there's a regular for-plastic epoxy putty, and then there's 2 different 'quiksteel' kinds (at least i think they're two different ones)

here's the regular epoxy

here's the quiksteel epoxy, which is supposedly even better for this kind of project

and then the other quiksteel - not sure if it's the same thing as the other quiksteel i listed here - more info about the quiksteel uses here

anyone had any experience with epoxy for this or a similar project?

·
Registered
485 Posts
also found this about plugs - seems easier and less expensive too:

bumper plugs
This is what I did...I havent had time to post up a pic yet tho. Believe it or not, if you grab aluminum nails and paint them up it doesnt look tol bad either. Alot of the plugs actually stick out more than the nail. The holes in mine were the perfect fit. I haven't decided on which to use yet, I'll post pics of both so you can see which you like better sometime tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what I did...I havent had time to post up a pic yet tho. Believe it or not, if you grab aluminum nails and paint them up it doesnt look tol bad either. Alot of the plugs actually stick out more than the nail. The holes in mine were the perfect fit. I haven't decided on which to use yet, I'll post pics of both so you can see which you like better sometime tomorrow.
awesome! thanks!

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
I'm very interested in how you guys end up solving this. Do they make some type of bondo or something with a flex agent in it? The bottom of my bumper is all scraped up from it's previous life as a rental...

Here's my lovely holes in the bumper...

And the scrapes right in front of the right front tire. :(

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am SO glad that was never installed on my car id rather have my plate in my window then freakin holes in my bumper ug im sorry for you guys hopefully you get em patched and lookin sweet!!!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Get em patched or do it your self with some epoxy

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
yeah they got me since they couldnt read "Garden State" I was pissed to say the least. My bumper came without holes but the next day I mounted the plate like factory. However, I used self tapping screws for easy removal when I'm feeling lucky again lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.