Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought me a 2008 chevy cobalt Lt. On my way home I noticed that my steering had 2 inch fre play turning left or right before it would actually turn l. I've replace already both outer rie rods and sway bar link. Any great advice at would it could be?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
2” is an awful lot of play. That amount of play should have been discovered when the end links were replaced. So now you need to check out the rest of the ENTIRE steering system. Inner tie rods, rack, intermediate shaft…. So how many miles are on your 08 LT ? I’m almost willing to bet it’s running on the original shocks and struts with OEM original lower control arms with warn out bushings. All of these add to slop in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the intermediate shaft. Had the same issue on my mom's torrent, wasn't super cheap or easy to do but chances are there might be some slop in the U-joints. Does it have a slight knock/clunk when moving it?
Check the intermediate shaft. Had the same issue on my mom's torrent, wasn't super cheap or easy to do but chances are there might be some slop in the U-joints. Does it have a slight knock/clunk when moving it?
I've replaced that too so and my inner tie rods too last thing to think of is rack n pinion

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If you plan on keeping it for 50k to 100k more miles then you may wish to see how many miles per dollar your willing to spend for
Excellent handling and more precise control.
one can figure 50k for a set of top quality tires say $450 w new tpms good for about 5 yr or a set of tires at 10k miles per year.
A new FE5 suspension ( can no longer buy genuine GM FE 5 shocks & struts) about $150/corner
Forged Aluminum Lower control arms ( includes lower ball joint and rear LCA bushing close to $200/pair
A new intermediate shaft about $100
New sway bar bushings $10 and a 24mm diameter front sway bar. All told let’s say $2500/100,000miles or about $0.25 per mile
Now for about $1600 you can drop in a bran new 2008 L61 engine in and you should get another good 100k miles out of it.
so with a little planning you can have a new or better rigging car good for another 100k to 200k miles getting 30-35mpg out on the blvd.
and along the way throw a pair of $30 rotors and $30 set of brake pads and 99% of your braking system is new.
Now this is installing NEW parts not rebuilt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts