Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i wanna paint my valve cover!

i got everything unbolted and disconected...

but its hard to pull off! how do i go about prying it open????? :blink:

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
screwdriver maybe

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

I have not taken mine off yet so I don't know for sure

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

XFE will be in here to answer I'm sure...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
which is why I just settled with painting the plastic cover :)

as long as you dont f up the gasket, prying is ok.

post pics when complete!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but our motors are aluminum...i dont think you pry with a screwdriver/chisel

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Carefully use a flat head screwdriver to pry it up. Just don't damage the gasket and you'll be fine.

Put the screwdriver between the cover and the head and just pry or twist the screwdriver and it will start to come loose.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Carefully use a flat head screwdriver to pry it up. Just don't damage the gasket and you'll be fine.

Put the screwdriver between the cover and the head and just pry or twist the screwdriver and it will start to come loose.
this^^

you just have to be careful.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I concur with Mike. It shouldn't be that hard.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Use something with a lot of surface area, maybe 2 screwdrivers. that will lessen the possibility of breaking the aluminum.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks guys i got it off...

now...

is it necessary to it sand down

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sanding it will help the primer stick to it better but if you don't want to go through all that then just make sure you clean the hell out of it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
always good to prime it then your insuring your top coat will adhere and look the best and sanding insures the primer will stick so if your primer is good then so will your top coat

post some pictures up later I wana see the final product!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I did sand it and cleaned it all the way with thiner and let it air dry and applied high temp primer and then the actual pain. let it completely dry before putting back in place

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I know youv'e done it already, but i found it most effective to bump it with the meaty part of my hand worked like a charm...lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.