Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:unsure:WELL I BOUGHT A NEW STERIO FOR MY CAR WITCH I TRIED TO INSTALL MYSELF. I ASLO BOUGHT A HARNESS SO I WOULDNT HAVE TO CUT THE WIRES FROM THE STOCK HARNESS. AND I ALSO BOUGHT A NONE STOCK FRAME FOR MY ALPINE STERIO SO IT WOULD FIT IN MY CAR,
SO ANYWAYS I CONNECT IT ALL AND IT WAS ON AND WORKING TILL WHEN I WAS SCREWING ON THE SCREWS. IT STOPED WORKING. SO I DISCONNECTED IT ALL AND RECONNECTED BACK TO GETHER TO MAKE SURE IT WASNT THE WIRES AND IT STILL DIDNT WORK. SO I TOOK IT OUT AND PUT ON MY STOCK STERIO.. AND THE STOCK STERIO DIDNT WANT TO WORK ALSO.
AND WHEN I PUT THE KEY IN THE INGNITION AND TURN IT THE FIRST TIME BEFOR I TURN IT TO START THE ENGINE THE LIGHTS DONT TURN ON FROM THE HEAD LIGHT OR FROM THE GAUGES. SO I THINK MY PROBLEM HAS TO DO WITH MY FUSSIS OR MY WIRES..
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH MY PROBLEM PLEASE...?:unsure:

·
Registered
455 Posts
you probably just blew the fuse. look on the panel to see which fuse it is that controls the stereo and everything. pull it out and check if it's blown. if it is, just head to autozone and pick up a bigger fuse and you should be set. if not, then i have no clue lol

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
you probably just blew the fuse. look on the panel to see which fuse it is that controls the stereo and everything. pull it out and check if it's blown. if it is, just head to autozone and pick up a bigger fuse and you should be set. if not, then i have no clue lol
x2

·
Registered
248 Posts
hey man if u are using ur new head unit for subs and u bought one of those cheap and ugly head units then take it back and get a IEC AULOC adjustable line out put converter 2-60W.

that is so u dont have to buy a new stereo to play ur subs (in case u didnt know)

they cost 25 at best buy which is the one i got but later that night i found one for 10 dollars on amazon with free shipping.

but if you got a really really really nice stereo or the ones that fit in perfectly to ur square from stock head unit...or any touch screen ones lol
then ur fine dude and i wouldnt suggest taking it back...but it is up to u

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the advice.. well im trying to figur out where the fuse for the sterio is located at. cuz i went to autozone and they looked it up in their computer and it only says that its located on the passenger . and i was lookin for it but i cant seem to find it .. does anyone know.

·
Registered
821 Posts
1. there is a fuse panel relay box under the hood..... usually mistaken for where the car battery is

2. on the front passenger side of the car.... middle console.... if you are sitting in the front passenger seat its the panel next to your left knee...... remove that plastic piece by "popping" loose the lower corners first, then lift it upwards

as for the EXACT fuse and its location, im not to sure, but at least you know where to look now

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
btw, DONT put a bigger fuse in. they're designed to be a certain size for a reason

·
Registered
821 Posts
someone recommended a bigger fuse size.... I also DONT recommend do this.... just get the same size fuses and do your install. Using a bigger fuse would allow a larger load to go through the wires before tripping.... meaning your wires will run hotter, and depending on what guage the wires are, thats not a good thing.

Same Fuse size and do your install..... and double check your wires behind the radio before you shove it back in..... also install with the car off, with the keys just sitting on the dash, NOT in the ignition.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
this^^^

and to finish what killarowa said, hotter wires=fire

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Yeah - if you have to replace a fuse with a different size, only go down in amperage, NOT up.

Oh, and for the first post:

:cheesy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.