Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have decided to change the plugs in the cobalt. after 125k i figure it may be time. it has been running good but time. anyway i take the plugs out and find the gap at .055 and the plugs i got have .035 and they say pre gapped. anyway i find that it may be better to make sure these are ngk ltr5gp plugs the old plugs autolite platinum plugs. so before i install them i'm asking if anyone has the gap for these plugs. thanks

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
It seems like the gap for platinums hovers somewhere between 0.040" and 0.044" - Rock Auto specifies 0.044" for those plugs.

That said, the original plugs are AC Delco iridium plugs...if it had Autolites, those are not the original plugs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i know these are not original but we got the car at 6k miles and i have not changed out the plugs so somewhere between 0 and 6k someone did. it makes no difference to me what plug is in it as long as it runs. thanks for the info on the ngk plugs.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yep, Platinums will be fine. Iridiums just last longer - but cost more.

Not a problem, happy to help!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, Platinums will be fine. Iridiums just last longer - but cost more.

Not a problem, happy to help!
thanks after lunch i will go and regap the ones i have and install them. just wanted to get a feel for the proper gap.

when i had my chevy cruze they had a lot of talk on the plug gap and sor some it was a science. for me a plug is a plug as long as it fires and get's me down the road.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Oh yes, on the 1.4T in the Cruze, the plug gap makes a HUGE impact, as that engine is extremely sensitive to the gap/plug type. Changes a whole ton about how that engine operates.

On the Cobalt, not so much. As long as you have the correct reach and a close-enough gap, it doesn't really care.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that must be why all the talk then. i tried changing the gap on mine based on all the talk but i never seen a difference so for me it was just talk. i did not see any performance or mileage differences in mine. i liked the car but we sold it for a 200 because the interior was just no quite what fit us. seemed a bit small and i could not keep my arm on the door armrest without locking my pinky in the door handle, it was small and set on a angle that just did not work for me. plus it did never get the mileage everyone was saying it should be getting. we got the 200 and it fit us better and the arm rests were much better also the mileage is around the average for us as stated. but it is a bit bigger car. anyway everyone has what they like. thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.