Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L 4 cylinder with 75,194 miles. It has 3 owners including me. Only been driven through 1 winter. I put a new battery in it.

It started to have problems last month with the dash cluster. rpm, gas, and mph gauge will go dead or the gauges will just bounce around randomly. The traction control ,anti- theft, and engine light will stay on when the dash cluster goses crazy. the low gas, power steering , and traction control words will cycle as well. the car seems to lose half its power and shift hard. Power steering will also come on n off.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
First get a copy (search the forum here) of ground location images.
Second, clean/burnish the connector pins on the BCM.
To me, it seems your losing your cam bus from the BCM to the instrument panel. ( loose wire or poor connection)
Or a poor ground or more in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me, it seems your losing your cam bus from the BCM to the instrument panel. ( loose wire or poor connection)
I'm going to add a ground wire straight from the battery to the front of the car. if that doesn't work ill try your idea. thanks

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
“I'm going to add a ground wire straight from the battery to the front of the car. if that doesn't work ill try your idea. thanks”

You should already have a very low Z ground if your battery terminal is good and the ground cable and it’s terminals are good in the trunk.
AND all of your systems use this”chassis” for ground. So if this one connection is not right….none of your other grounds will not be. So adding a separate wire from your battery’s negative terminal to the engine compartment is unnecessary, a waste of time, and possibly masking other issues.
pull up the schematics for your cobalt and search the forum for “ground location images” here on the forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm losing my GMLAN bus communications when plugging a scanner into the OBD port. Where do I find information on this BCM burnishing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts