Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 base model cobalt sedan. Ive had it for 6 months now and its always sounded good with decent speed. I did a muff delete and it sound pretty good honestly and its pops A LOT... im not mechanic but everyone is saying its probably tuned. Is it stock or is it tuned. 馃

Registered
In the early years 05-06 the ECU's weren't really supported like the later years 07-10. It could be tuned. First I'd look over your car if it was stock or fairly stock (especially the engine) if so I'd say it probably wasn't tuned but if someone was monkey-ing around with it then it's possible.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First i would need to know what to even look for. If its not tuned what else could it be. It sounds like it has power even tho its not as fast. The sound itself turns head.

Registered
I took a look at your profile pic, if that's your car I can tell that the exhaust isn't stock. It looks like it exits out the side which probably means they deleted the muffler which of course makes it louder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well actually i did the side exit myself but even before i did that it was decently loud with the muffler on. After i removed it of course it made it louder but i wasn't expecting the poping and crackling not from a suppose to be stock base modle cobalt sedan.

Registered
I'd be quite surprised too. If you take some pictures of the exhaust and engine bay I could tell you more, but it seems like it could be tuned or maybe there's a big exhaust leak or something.

Registered
Yea other than missing some of the OEM plastic engine coverings it looks stock to me. That being said the ECM is missing it's covering which makes it possible that someone has tuned it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually removed the engine cover but i did not remove the ecm cover. Could hooking it up to a code reader or computer tell me if its tuned. Q

1 - 11 of 11 Posts