Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was getting ready to pull into the driveway and heard a loud pop noise in the front end I wasn’t turning yet I was just slowing down right before I turned. I got down to about 10mph and it popped and slowed me down more. Currently I have a bad strut and bad sway bar links which will be replaced this week but none of those have popped yet just creak and rattle. The same thing happened today I was going to work and was slowing down to turn into a parking spot and it made a loud pop again and slowed me down even more as if I hit the brake harder but didn’t. Anyone know what could be causing that. Was thinking cv axle but not sure

·
Registered
249 Posts
About how many miles does the car have? We can assume the car is at least 10 years old also.

I’ve had my ‘06 for about a year and a half. And only recently has it started a creaking sound. I already pretty much knew what I was going to be, but had a look Friday night to verify it. And in my instance it’s the front lower control arm rear bushings. When the suspension is moving over uneven surfaces, it seems to make noise. Especially if it’s extremely humid outside or the temperature has gotten cooler, like in the morning or late at night.

These cars usually need the control arms replaced between 100,000-130,000 miles. The bushing by that point will have dry rotted and start to separate. This is quite a common issue. Even with the car jacked up and the suspension hanging, I can’t move my control arms. I had to use a pry bar between the subframe and control arm to get it to move where I could tell the bushing is separating.

It will usually separate away from the outer metal piece or crack between the center metal bushing the bolt goes through and the outer piece of metal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About how many miles does the car have? We can assume the car is at least 10 years old also.

I’ve had my ‘06 for about a year and a half. And only recently has it started a creaking sound. I already pretty much knew what I was going to be, but had a look Friday night to verify it. And in my instance it’s the front lower control arm rear bushings. When the suspension is moving over uneven surfaces, it seems to make noise. Especially if it’s extremely humid outside or the temperature has gotten cooler, like in the morning or late at night.

These cars usually need the control arms replaced between 100,000-130,000 miles. The bushing by that point will have dry rotted and start to separate. This is quite a common issue. Even with the car jacked up and the suspension hanging, I can’t move my control arms. I had to use a pry bar between the subframe and control arm to get it to move where I could tell the bushing is separating.

It will usually separate away from the outer metal piece or crack between the center metal bushing the bolt goes through and the outer piece of metal.
Thanks for the info. I looked at it after work and my outer cv joint is tearing. It looked perfectly fine 2 weeks ago when I looked at the struts but that’s how fast things can break. Car has 197,000 miles it’s an 07. Can’t complain tho it took this long for something to happen even after it was rear ended a few years ago

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here’s what the bushings look like when they start to pop or creak. Some I’ve taken off of an ‘09 Cobalt last week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yesterday I was getting ready to pull into the driveway and heard a loud pop noise in the front end I wasn’t turning yet I...
I had a front strut spring break on a Cavalier. LOUD pop. The car was still quite driveable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts