Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a popping sound when I turn my steering wheel left and right, sounds like it's coming from the steering collum....
Any suggestions?...
Will it be covered by warranty

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
A lot of popping actually comes from the endlinks. Have you messed with them lately?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i haven't messed with them lately.
I put the car on a lift and tired to shake the wheels to see if it was the tie rods, but it wasn't.

I don't know.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Does it pop while driving, sitting still, or both?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both, Sgt.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds like intermediate steering shaft Ujoint.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Have a friend turn the steering wheel side to side while the car is on the ground ( not on a hoist or jacks ). And visually inspect the Ujoint on the shaft under the hood or better still grab the shaft just above the Ujoint and feel if the popping sound occurs at the same time as a jerk in the shaft. That is a sure sign the joint is bad.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I couldn't hear it from the outside while my wife turned the wheel, couldn't see anything either

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Then it's not your Ujoint, maybe and upper strut bearing. Grab one coil of the spring on the strut while somebody turns the steering wheel. You should not get any jerks or rough feel as the wheel turns, it should feel smooth from bump to bump. Then do the same on the other side.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay!
Thanks coby.
I wonder if it's covered by warranty.
my AC/Heater is going out, and a number of other things, just going to rack and stack em so I only have to pay the deductible once!

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Looked under the steering wheel and the popping isn't from inside, it's right on the other side of the firewall.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds like intermediate shaft Ujoint, but I'm here.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you change it?
And where can I get one

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you!

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hi JacksonWilder3

The best way to determine if this will be covered under warranty is to have a dealer find the cause of the popping sound and diagnose the issue. Do you have a dealer that you take your Cobalt to? I would be happy to locate one in your area if you don't. Please send me a private message if you would like my assistance.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Jackie!
It isn't affecting the way the car drives yet.. Knock on wood..
I'll be sure to PM you if it does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.