Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching the internet and i think i might have an exhaust leak somewhere. I only hear the ticking/hissing noise when i first start up the car for a few min. After the car warms up you can only hear it when you step on the gas a little when you want to speed up. The sound is coming from the passenger side like its behind the glove box or under it. I'm trying to look and see if its the intake manifold that's cracked or something but i don't know exactly what it looks like lol, I'm still fairly new to how cars work and stuff. Let me know what you guys think. Pictures of what the whole exhaust system consists of would be great. I would hate to pay 100 dollars just to find out its a loose bolt or a small crack in the flex pipe. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I'm trying to look and see if its the intake manifold that's cracked or something but i don't know exactly what it looks like lol, I'm still fairly new to how cars work and stuff. Thanks.
I'm sure you meant exhaust manifold. But I would look at the flex pipe because it seems to be first to go.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
^ I would do this also. Most likely the exhaust manifold to head.
And i would also get under the car and make sure everything is tight. Be sure to go in sequence, and use the proper torque at the manifold to head. Only other thing i can think would make that noise would be timing chain tensioner. But that would only be at start up until proper oil pressure has been reached.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea thats what i ment lol but yea im dont know too much about the engine to check it myself ive tried lookin today but idk what im lookin for i might be taking it to the dealership early tomorrow to see if they can figure it out hopefully they wont rob me of the little money i have.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Did you already make your trip in to the dealership? I know that the diagnostic fee can be a bit painful, but I really hope that they are able to isolate the concern for you! Please post an update when you get a chance.

Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I might be taking it to the dealership early tomorrow to see if they can figure it out hopefully they wont rob me of the little money i have.
Oh! if your not under warranty they will rob you blind. I have owned 18 GM's and dealt with 4 different dealerships in my area and once warranty is up it's free game.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn... well I didn't get to go but I will be going on my next off day on Monday ill let you guys know what they say...looks like ima have to ask my parents for help on this one smh I only have 75k miles on it too...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You might be better off at your local corner garage.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK since I have a leak should I just get the tsudo exhaust system to replace my stock one or should I get the one I have now fixed cause a local shop said they can install it for 50 dollars if I order it online

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i got to the dealership today and sure enough its a broken flex pipe as i said ealier i was thinking of just upgrading the exhaust system. the flex pipe will be fixed under warranty but should i just get the tsudo since i already saved up for it or no

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I realize this is an old post but do you know how the dealership found the leak? My car is making the same exhaust leak sound from behind the glove compartment and its driving me insane. I've blocked off the tail pipe and looked/felt for the leak (from under the car on my hoist) but cant seem to find a leak.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Most likely the flex pipe, it's always first to go. Run your hand on top of the flex pipe (when cold of course) and feel if the braiding is frayed or take a mirror and light and check the top. It always starts to go bad top first because thats's where road grimm deposits itself. Not seen with normal inspection because you can't see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.