Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my car back from the dealer after getting the steering motor recall work done. Problem solved? WRONG... The steering is worse if anything. It was "stiff" to start with but now it steers like a boat! It doesn't freely return to center after making a turn. I've read about intermediate shaft problems so I'm wondering if I should mention this to the dealer although it looks like they lubed it up with some kind of grease when they changed the assist motor. Any reports of steering rack issues causing this?

By the way my '06 5 speed Cobalt LS has only about 43,000 miles on it.

J

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke with the dealer and they told me to bring it back and they would cover it and look after it :bigsmile:

I'll post what they found ASAP

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just spoke with the dealer, who are a very friendly bunch to deal with by the way (kudos to them), and they indicated the intermediate steering shaft is nearly seized and that explains the stiff steering issue. They are covering the repair with the exception of a $100 deductible. Sound fair enough and I don't have to mess with it - I'm busy with transfer case issues on my Avalanche which is wayyyy off warranty so I'm trying to fix that on the cheap!

J

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
with the exception of a $100 deductible.
I don't see why you're being asked to pay a deductible for something that was fine prior to the recall work...

Many dealers have been screwing the recall install up lately.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't see why you're being asked to pay a deductible for something that was fine prior to the recall work...

Many dealers have been screwing the recall install up lately.
Thats what scares me, I just got a brand new 10 cobalt and don't want the dealer to touch it unless it acts up period. I know some who have never had an issue beforehand; took their cars in for the recall and had issues afterwards and regreted it...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The recall part "should not" have any effect on steering stiffness or steering wheel alignment. Sounds like another issue.
But even if it IS intermediate shaft.. (very possible), why was it stiff when it ent in and loose when you got it back. Like I said above... PS recall would not effect your new symptoms at all.....????????????? Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got my car back.... they waived the so called deductible as a "goodwill gesture", so it didn't cost me a dime. They were very nice about it though, to tell the truth. I haven't dealt with them very much in the past although I leased an Ion when they first appeared on the market through the same dealer network and had that car back to them a time or two during the three years I had it (the neutral safety switch was the main culprit with that one and I ended up fixing that myself!!).

In any case the problem with my Cobalt was a corroded steering shaft and the lower u-joint was seized. They installed a new shaft/kit. Its nice to have that recall looked after as well.

Case closed. Hopefully ;)

Now onto that encoder motor on the Avalanche - that, on the other hand, is not going to be a freebie... :(

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Mine came back from the recall with an off center steering wheel...after 4 more trips, it now is worse than ever with an off center steering wheel and a sharp pull to the left.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
and things like this are why I am not going to have this recall done, I will just deal with the possible loss of the assist when it happens again. I dont care if any of the issues I have seen are fixed after the recall, I do not feel like making trips back and fourth to a dealer who quite frankly is shit because of how busy they are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You know, all joking aside, these cars aren't all that big so it is a wonder that there isn't a sensible way to convert to manual steering. By that I mean years ago when I first got my license I owned an Omni 024 (remember those?) that I drove for about 2 years before noticed one day while doing some service on it that it was equipped with a power steering pump.... duh!.... I assumed when I bought it (it was a used car) that it was manual steering as it was a base model anyway. I threw a belt on there and WOW it was great but I drove it two years without any concerns about the steering.... I wonder if you remove that power assist motor altogether what the steering in the Cobalt would be like? Does the rack have a sensible ratio that would make a decent manual steering setup? Too bad you can't get manual racks like you can for say for MK 1 VW's (I was into those at one time as well).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Did the recall on the G5... never knew it was done. Holding off on the Cobalt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess the thing to remember is that the recall might not actually be noticeable at all. Apparently the problem I was having wasn't recall related at all. It was a seized intermediate shaft and lower u-joint and the power steering assist motor had nothing to do with the stiffness in the steering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.