Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

341 - 360 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Space really has nothing to do with it. Both boxes come in all sorts of sizes for pretty much any trunk size. Not to mention if you make it yourself

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
But with less room to work with go with a sealed box. Research it :toung:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It's not going to matter. You will still get the same effect. Sealed, crisper cleaner sound. Ported, louder sound but sacrifice sound quality, And you have to have the ear for it to be noticed already.

You might be able to mic a little lower or higher. Maybe

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
But with less room to work with go with a sealed box. Research it :toung:
A Lot of people though that are working with a LOT of space and use ported boxes because they actually hit LOWER and louder, will actually use a Bandpass setup as it allows for the air pressure in the front of the sub to push back on the sub a little to keep the sub from resonating so much (other wise known as distortion), which drastically increases the SQ of the setup for a large area. You get the frequency response of the ported box, as well as the volume of the ported box, but get the clarity (not as much but it's close, and it's a LOT better than not having it) as a sealed box.

I used to own a performance/customs business, stereos were my 2nd biggest income :laugh:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
A few years ago I was all about ported, then I picked up a sealed box stuffed with pillow foam and now sealed is the way to go for me. Unless you want all the bass you can get of course

But with a sealed box you don't need crazy high end subs to give a nice sound. Any decent sub in a nice sealed box will compliment any music you listen too

·
Registered
4 Posts
Might as well throw mine up,
Kenwood DDX714 double din, jl audio a6450, jl audio hd750/1, jl 12w7. Pioneer speakers for now.

Pics are from when I was finishing install.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Nice! Welcome btw OP!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here's mine. (No pics) ken wood 12" sub with ken wood 1000W mono class D amp. Alpine speakers all the way around, and a stock head unit( mostly to avoid unwanted attention) and I guess this counts but my underglow is wired to the head unit so that I can cause it to fade and change colors to the beat of my music. Speakers are loud, (people tell me they can hear it from outside my car at 1/4 volume. And sub is amazing. Resonates so that my rear view mirror rattles downward.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Here's mine. (No pics) ken wood 12" sub with ken wood 1000W mono class D amp. Alpine speakers all the way around, and a stock head unit( mostly to avoid unwanted attention) and I guess this counts but my underglow is wired to the head unit so that I can cause it to fade and change colors to the beat of my music. Speakers are loud, (people tell me they can hear it from outside my car at 1/4 volume. And sub is amazing. Resonates so that my rear view mirror rattles downward.
No Pictures?.. Not true ^_^

(Stock stereo can be heard from outside a car and 50 watts (Real RMS) is enough to rattle the windshield with the mirror) :clap

·
Registered
48 Posts
No Pictures?.. Not true ^_^

(Stock stereo can be heard from outside a car and 50 watts (Real RMS) is enough to rattle the windshield with the mirror) :clap
I really don't have pictures. Nor have I figured out how to post them.
Stock can be heard outside from 1/4 volume? Mine couldn't be.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
refer to speedycobalt's post and that's what I have.

Kenwood DDX 418 (he has the ddx419)

341 - 360 of 379 Posts