Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys so finally the weather is clearing up here in north bay! I was able to go outside and actually open my door panel to see what was wrong with my powerlocks, Unfortunately it is way to damn confusing, no clue whats going wrong.. I opened the door panel on the passenger side and the actuator is litteraly almost impossible to lift up. I got to the box, and removed the fuse, it seemed to be intact, but accidentaly broke it myself, so I touched the two wires together withought the fuse, to see if it was the fuse, woo locks opened then closed, but then after they dont work, it will attempt to go up but still stays stuck, so I remove the power, and put it back on, boom it pops up, then stops working but still tries to. Really no clue what is wrong, checked my connections, and everything else, the only thing I can think of is:

The relay box is not working properly
or
Since I tapped out of ciggaret lighter, it is somehow not getting enough power lol doubtfull

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Who's cobby?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
OEM or aftermarket?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If cobby can't help you let me know.

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If cobby can't help you let me know.
cobby died a long time ago. I asked his dead body he no answer.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

I think its the relay box, that is allowing constant power to my passenger side door, as its really hot, and can never pull it up manually to unlock it

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Check your ground connections. They might have rusted over the winter, you're in Canada you know. We have that salt cancer. You are obviously not getting the full voltage to your solenoids. A meter with a needle in this case is of better help because you can visually see what is happening to the voltage when you press the button, where a digital meter will just flicker a bunch of numbers. You should get close to battery voltage on those solenoids when energized.

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check your ground connections. They might have rusted over the winter, you're in Canada you know. We have that salt cancer. You are obviously not getting the full voltage to your solenoids. A meter with a needle in this case is of better help because you can visually see what is happening to the voltage when you press the button, where a digital meter will just flicker a bunch of numbers. You should get close to battery voltage on those solenoids when energized.

Finally found my meter in the garage and on a nice sunny day to, constant power is going to the actuator so I am almost 90% sure its the relay box that is broken.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Where did you ground your meter to take the measurements?

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alrighty well like I said it was, it was the relay box! Got the company to send me a new box, luckily! as they said since it is past 30 days warranty itll cost. But I got it for free.

Anyways replaced the box and the actuator that was seized and they work good as new!
And due to me being very curious I opened the relay box to see if I could spot the problem! Sure enough I did! The relay box has an antenna for reception, and this antenna happens to be ran around a capacitor, so I guess the box must of moved and the antenna put stress around the capacitor, thus removing it from the board.

Luckily the scr right beside it is still intact. Now all I gotta do is learn to solder better and I can resolder rr on or if she is blown find a 47uf capacitor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.