Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here bought a kit to convert their manual locks to power locks? just looking for some advice since im going to tackle this for my sister's cobalt. she has my old LS that has power nothing. plus, does anyone know if the locking system is a cable system or rod? there are kits for each and i dont feel like pulling off the door panel unless i have to.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i didnt even know the cobalt came with manual locks...talk about cheap

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had mine done... Sort of.
When I got my alarm installed, I had them install keyless entry. Pretty much consist of solenoids on each door.
I don't have a master control on the drivers door, but they all lock when I start the car, and unlock when I shut it off.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have manual locks with crank windows and I want to convert so bad but I don't have the cash. Anyway I Blew a speaker a while ago and when I took the panel off it was rods. In the 2005 base model at least

·
Registered
90 Posts
The locks are controlled by rods attached to the key cylinder and the lock knob. the latches are cable controlled by interior handle and rod for the exterior handle. The power door lock actuator (power lock part) is part of the latch assembly. The factory locks are controlled by the Body Control Module(BCM) and its no an easy system to duplicate. you could easily use factory latches and custom wiring, this what i would do instead of adding aftermarket actuators

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the lock kit i am planning on purchasing has its own control module, the actuators just attach to existing rods so extensive modifcation isnt needed. the module controls central locking and keyless operation, with the ability to expand to security.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Actuator's... That's the word I was looking for.:p

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got done converting my door locks to power and adding an alarm. I still need to hook up the parking lights and door triggers, anyone have a wiring diagram with pics for those two?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had mine done... Sort of.
When I got my alarm installed, I had them install keyless entry. Pretty much consist of solenoids on each door.
I don't have a master control on the drivers door, but they all lock when I start the car, and unlock when I shut it off.
how much did this cost you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a kit almost 6-8 months ago didnt know too much about car wiring i had a kit for 4 doors, keyless entry, and remote start. If anyone has done it themselves i'd like to know how when i return from iraq soon im goin to start customizing the Balt.

·
Banned
292 Posts
i'm wanting to do power door locks as well as power windows, and my friend thats in the lowrider scene and looking up the power window kit for me, he said that the kit he looked at didn't need switches, you just hooked it up and when you pulled the crank up 1/2 inch to 1 inch the window would roll up pull the crank down 1/2 inch to a inch window would roll down. i like this idea as no switches are needed and it basically looks like you have manual windows but with a slight pull in one direction or the other the windows go up or down.

and the power lock kit i'll get from autoloc for like 120 i'm not wasting money on a ebay kit that may or maynot work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
anybody with power locks have a picture of there door with the panels off

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all..
I've been thinking about this too.. From the way I see it, it appears that you would have to replace the entire door card to fit the switches on (in my case) all four doors, since the cranks are vertical and the switch assemblies are horizontal.

Make sense..?

Thanks
John

·
Banned
292 Posts
if you get a good power door lock kit you don't need switches its built into the existing lock, when you pull up on one lock both locks unlock lock on both lock, turn the key to unlock both unlock turn the key to lock both lock, use the remove to unlock both unlock use the remote to lock all lock. no need for switches unless you just want them, stupid in my opinion tho to go cutting up your door panel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
if you get a good power door lock kit you don't need switches its built into the existing lock, when you pull up on one lock both locks unlock lock on both lock, turn the key to unlock both unlock turn the key to lock both lock, use the remove to unlock both unlock use the remote to lock all lock. no need for switches unless you just want them, stupid in my opinion tho to go cutting up your door panel.
Have you found any examples of what you'd consider a "good power door lock kit"..? The only ones I've seen come from Asia via ebay.
Thanks
John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.