Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LS that has power locks but not windows and mirrors and I was looking at getting the new door inserts that contain the power switches and converting everything to power. My only concern is that the power insert looks like it is longer than the non power one and may have an issue with the way it fits. Has anyone done this or know if they are the same size or if I would have to get door panels from a car with power options

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Anyone? The passenger side doesnt look that much bigger its the driver side Im really worried about

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've looked into this also!. It looks like either you'll have to be really good with customizing or you'll have to get a panel from one with the power options. Just remember that there's different type of power option controls, some are longer then others.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ive seen a few people do this and they had to get a door panel from the Balt with power options. They just couldnt get it to fit right without it...Not saying you cant though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
then there is the issue that your windows don't have the electric regulator, becasue they are manual right now, so you will have to change out your window regulators as well.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured I would need to get the regulators and motors but was just curious with the driver side switch setup. Im sure the passenger side will fit without a problem but i think the driver side would be too long with all the added switches

·
Registered
90 Posts
The door panels are different, you would need the complete power window door panel to do it without extensive customizing

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think i would just need a driver side panel because its pretty much the same size as the regular one. Might have to make the hole a little bit bigger. I wonder if i could just get custom made door inserts instead. I was thinking about having some made out of carbon fiber from a guy i know in ohio that would only charge me like $100 for both and then just cut out the area needed to fit the switches

·
Registered
561 Posts
I seen someone on SS.net did the full conversion and it set him back around $600 for both sides...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think i would just need a driver side panel because its pretty much the same size as the regular one.
Yeah its only "pretty much" the same, the holes are "bigger" this is why you need new panels :) The power and manual door panels are different. Not to mention youd have a nice hole in your panels where the window crank used to go. Not saying it cant be done, anything "can" be done, its just a matter how much. Easiest thing would actually be to buy some salvage yard doors. that way you get panels, switches, regualtors, most of the wiring and connectos and the switch plates, etc....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yes...well stated....i wonder how much the total for this would be and if it is even worth it at all

·
Registered
90 Posts
Whether or not its worth it depends on how much youve already got invested in the car(money, time, personal connection) and how bad you want power windows. Me personally, I would either do a junkyard swap for the factory look if I could find doors, or I would just use an aftermarket power window kit, they are WAY cheaper than putting in factory ones and if you get creative you can make it look nice. Lastly would be just to buy a car that has power windows. I honestly believe that if youve got the means this is the best way to go, first of all you get a brand new car(which is always nice) plus not only will you get power windows, but youll get power door locks, keyless entry, power mirrors, XM radio, tire pressure monitors, 5/100 powertrain warranty and head curtain airbags but youll also have the option of the getting the much better looking (IMO) ebony interior, but you can still get the light grey if thats how you roll:) If youve got a decent interest rate on your car loan the amount of money youd lose in the trade process would probably be pretty much equal to what it would cost you to properly install power windows, locks, and keyless entry and youd get all the other things I mention free.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would have gotten the LT from the dealership but I didn't have a co-signer and they wouldn't give me the financing for anything but the LS. I was lucky enough to get power locks and then ended up getting ABS for free as well.

As far as wiring goes don't all models have the same wiring in them? I think that its just cheaper for manufacturers to make cars that way and then just plug in the option components specific to the model.

You mention the power panels have bigger holes, cant you just cut the hole out bigger to compensate for the bigger insert? Also as far as the hole goes from the manual crank it can easily be covered with a plug. Almost all of the after market kits come with them. The only thing that I don't like about the kits is the way they look. I would like something that looks like stock so whats better than just getting stock lol.

I priced out salvage yard/ebay for all the panels and stuff and I think the cheapest at one time was around $300 but it all depends on who you get it from and when you get it cause prices change drastically between sellers and time of year. I would never get the parts new from the dealer tho cause I called them just for shits and giggles and they want around $800 just for parts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As far as wiring goes don't all models have the same wiring in them? I think that its just cheaper for manufacturers to make cars that way and then just plug in the option components specific to the model.
No all the cars dont have the same harness, think how much money GM would lose if they sold 35,000 cars that had everything for power windows except the switches and regulators but didnt charge for them..... I can assure you that the power window connectors are not already in your car, pop off a door panel and see how many extra connectors are in there, gaurantee you wont find any for power windows(or mirrors, or tweeters)

You mention the power panels have bigger holes, cant you just cut the hole out bigger to compensate for the bigger insert? .
Its a bigger hole, yes. But its not just a bigger hole. The shape of the door panel is completely different to accomodate the larger switch panel.

I priced out salvage yard/ebay for all the panels and stuff and I think the cheapest at one time was around $300 but it all depends on who you get it from and when you get it cause prices change drastically between sellers and time of year.
I would say that $300 is a good price for stock stuff for a window conversion. The good news about a factory style conversion to power windows in the Cobalt is that they arent computer controlled. So you dont have to reprogram or buy any modules other than the door panel switches. The system is actually pretty basic, youve got a drivers motor that attaches to the drivers switch with two wires. the drivers switch also has one wire that goes to a 30a fused power source, one wire that goes to the lighting control in the car, and one wire that goes to ground. All prety simple. A little bit more complex but only because its alot of wire to run safely is the two wires that connect the drivers switch to the passenger switch. The passenger besides the two wires from the drivers side also has its own power and ground wires, as well as a lighting wire. and of course the two wires that go to the motor. If you can safely and properly wire in a head unit and amp, you can setup power windows. I wish you luck its a cool project!!!!

Personally I think you should get a cool looking switch for the center console and leave the door panels alone.:cool: (than all you need is regulator/motor assemblies, wiring and the switch(maybe old camaro or something...) no door panels or door panel butchery, just a simple dremel job on your inexpensive center console trim...........

·
Registered
768 Posts
No all the cars dont have the same harness, think how much money GM would lose if they sold 35,000 cars that had everything for power windows except the switches and regulators but didnt charge for them..... I can assure you that the power window connectors are not already in your car, pop off a door panel and see how many extra connectors are in there, gaurantee you wont find any for power windows(or mirrors, or tweeters)

Its a bigger hole, yes. But its not just a bigger hole. The shape of the door panel is completely different to accomodate the larger switch panel.

I would say that $300 is a good price for stock stuff for a window conversion. The good news about a factory style conversion to power windows in the Cobalt is that they arent computer controlled. So you dont have to reprogram or buy any modules other than the door panel switches. The system is actually pretty basic, youve got a drivers motor that attaches to the drivers switch with two wires. the drivers switch also has one wire that goes to a 30a fused power source, one wire that goes to the lighting control in the car, and one wire that goes to ground. All prety simple. A little bit more complex but only because its alot of wire to run safely is the two wires that connect the drivers switch to the passenger switch. The passenger besides the two wires from the drivers side also has its own power and ground wires, as well as a lighting wire. and of course the two wires that go to the motor. If you can safely and properly wire in a head unit and amp, you can setup power windows. I wish you luck its a cool project!!!!

Personally I think you should get a cool looking switch for the center console and leave the door panels alone.:cool: (than all you need is regulator/motor assemblies, wiring and the switch(maybe old camaro or something...) no door panels or door panel butchery, just a simple dremel job on your inexpensive center console trim...........
And a little patch job where the manual crank was! good Idea Maven! I may be doing that this summer...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.