Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local power company (Nova Scotia Power) is coming under fire lately for being so expensive compared to other places. They claim we have a fair rate but they just posted they Q1 earnings and it's @ 68 million in profit.

They also won't let us have a time of day/time of use meter without having some way to store the power. Our rates are $.148/kWh on the regular, in the winter it goes to like $.189/kWh and in off peak times it drops to $.074/kWh.

Just curious on what everyone pays for rates.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Let's see,

Ours is 6.912¢ per kWh for the first 17 kWh per day, and 8.257¢ per kWh for excess over 17 kWh per day.

Plus:

Service Charge: $6.00 per month
Distribution Charge: 5.003¢ per kWh for all kWh

So, for this time of year, I won't be going over 17kWh per day, meaning $0.119/kWh (USD).

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Will be interested to see what our summer bill ends up running with the AC being on. Haven't turned it on just yet, because I don't feel like switching the ~10 dampers in the basement all around.

All of our appliances are gas, and 90% of our interior light bulbs are LEDs, so that helps quite a bit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Will be interested to see what our summer bill ends up running with the AC being on. Haven't turned it on just yet, because I don't feel like switching the ~10 dampers in the basement all around.

All of our appliances are gas, and 90% of our interior light bulbs are LEDs, so that helps quite a bit.
I need to do that to my house, LED's would be nice.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
They're fantastic. The light quality is far superior to that of CFLs - and they're at instant brightness the second you turn them on (CFLs take a while to get there), while still using less electricity. The Crees at Home Depot really have come down in price, and the new "4-Flow" ones (which don't have the big heat sink) can go in enclosures.

Most of mine are the heat sink ones, since I had a few from our previous house, and when I ordered more for this one, the 4-flows weren't out. They actually use slightly less electricity at the expense of being way ****ing hotter. I did get 4-flows for my enclosures, as well as a couple other spots as of a couple months ago. All the floods are still the heat sink variety, but obviously those are open cans. I have TCP candelabra LEDs for our three bigger chandeliers, and those really save a ton. Between the three of them, I want to say there are 23 bulbs...so at 40W a piece, that's 920W total...wheras the LEDs use 5W - totalling 115W. That's huge.

Next is the outdoor lighting - those are all incandescents, so we don't really leave them on when we're gone and coming back at night - the one benefit of christmas time - our christmas lights are (of course), LEDs, so they were great!

Yes, I know I have a problem. :nuts:

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just ordered 3 more for friends

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have efficiency Nova Scotia coming in on Tuesday to switch all, if not most of my bulbs over to LED for free. It's a program paid for by the government to make homes more power friendly.

I've counted my lights in my house ice and while they aren't all on at once I do have 73 bulbs and most are 60W incandescent with only 9 bulbs being smaller like MR16's but every bathroom has 6x60w bulbs above the mirror. The power savings are going to be great I hope.

My biggest problem is that most of my rooms have dimmers and I'm not sure if the bulbs efficiency NS supplies are dimmable.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Going from Incandescant to LED is massive for the power savings - trust me.

Yes, hopefully the ones they buy are all dimmable. All of ours (Crees and TCP) are.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it that noticeable? Coming from an apartment to a house and never having a bill yet with no heat on I wasn't sure what to expect. My apartment in the winter hit $450/bi-monthly. In the summer it was as low as $48/bi-monthly. Never worried about what bulbs I used because how much would they have really saved me.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
If you replace all the lights you use regularly every day (ones that you're likely to leave on while in the area, etc), you'll definitely see a savings. 60W Crees use about 9.5W (in the older form, I think 10W in the 4-flow).

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah right now I actually keep the minimum on because lights hurt my feelings with the power they use.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
That's why I swapped to LEDs, so I can have more on when we need them - and also because my fiance has a bad habit of just leaving lights on everywhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.