Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Started skimming, but did not find what I am looking for. I think I just fell victim to this. My power steering just quit. Also, my speedo did quit, my odometer did not go up, my trip odometers had no reading, I did get the power steering message in my message center, as well as four dings. The transmission started shifting hard, but quickly, it just quit shifting at all. First gear all the time. Is this normal for this problem?
The dealer picked my car up for no fee, but I am hoping they do not come back to me saying I have to pay a ton of cash, even with 20k on the warranty (it has 80k miles).

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I think you just blew the fuse to the "TCM". It supplies voltage to the "VSS" (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and the transmission module is what actuates your transmission solenoids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think you just blew the fuse to the "TCM". It supplies voltage to the "VSS" (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and the transmission module is what actuates your transmission solenoids.
Could the power steering assist going out take it out as well? (the fuse) I just got a call from the dealership, and they are telling me that the speed sensor itself is bad, and it will cost $250 to fix. I have never used this dealer before, so I have no idea how trustworthy they are.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
cragmor,
Welcome to the forum! If you had wanted for me to check into anything with your dealership, or get you more information about your warranty, please let me know. I can provide you my email as you're new to the forum and may not be able to send direct messages yet and we'll go from there.

Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I am having the same situation right now. Driving to work this morning ding ding. powersteering in the info bar, speedometer jumps everywhere, hard shifting, brake relay (or whatever it is under the shifter) keeps clicking, and no power steering. I limped it over to the dealer and initially thaught it has something to do with the recall I had accomplished in 2010. It is being diagnosed right now, but the guy is assuring me it is all different problems, and since i work on electronics and all this happened within five seconds im am not convinced what this guy is saying. Waiting for word from dealer, but curious if anyone knows if it is truly linked with the recall? and a ton of people don't think the recall fixed anything, so I am curious if there is anything in progress to find a true fix? This could be something completely different though. Just looking for any quick advice... Thanks

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
vincenzo5325,
If you had wanted for me to follow up on this visit with your dealership, please let me know and I will get you my contact information (as you're new to the forum, I do not believe that you can send messages using the private message tool at this time).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sarah,

Thank you for your quick response. I just got word from the dealer. They say my bpcm is bad and it will cost $677 to replace. Not saying they are wrong, but every one else that has had this issue seemed to be caused by something connected to the computer and not the actual computer. So when they get back from lunch and throw it back together I will go limp it back to my house and try some of the quick things people have done that fixed it. I am too cheap to throw almost 700 at it and hope it goes away. Again not trying to discredit these guys (since I haven't been to this dealer before), but I don't want to get too much money invested quite yet. Thanks.

-Vince

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You never told us what year your car was. You must mean PCM....Yeah do a quick connector cleaning of the 2 PCM connectors and maybe the ground screwed to the driverside strut tower and the one on the front of the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Coby as soon as I get it back I will.

Mine is a 2005. And yeah PCM one of my old car was called a BPCM or something. I know some people get annoyed when multiple people post the same thing, but I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so I am back from the dealer. At the dealer I wiggled the connectors and reset a few fuses. I got it to run like new 90% of the way home and then same thing the last 10%. I am now totally convinced problem lies with the two connnectors, one of which looks like it might have been opened today at the dealer, but zip tied back together. Don't like that much. At least I didn't spend 700 bucks yet...

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hopefully you can get this worked out soon, Vince! I'll be around the forum if you should need anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well if it worked for a while chance are it's not your PCM but rather some bad connections somewhere. This little trick cost nothing and should be done once in a while anyways. One by one remove and re-install all the fuses in the underhood fuse block if you have time do the BCM fuse block also. This cleans corrosion build-up on the fuse tabs and makes for a better contact and power transfer for all electrical systems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry its been awhile, left the country for a bit, but im back and wanted to let you guys know that the cobalt has been running strong after wiggling the connectors on the pcm. I appreciate the help Coby. This weekend I will do the fuse remove reinstall idea, while I dig into my infamous klunk... Thanks again Coby...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got a postcard in the mail about the recall a while ago went to Rick Hendricks in Duluth about a month ago and had it done for free. I havent noticed a change.

·
Registered
210 Posts
is it still open, or how can i find out if my '05 had it replaced? i have that chatery sound in column and know this isn't the intermediate shaft.

a site for reeeeally cheap replacements would be helpful also. thanks

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
jonny_b,

If you wanted to send me the last 8 digits of your VIN, we can look into this for you to see if there are any open recalls on your Cobalt.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Got a postcard in the mail about the recall a while ago went to Rick Hendricks in Duluth about a month ago and had it done for free. I havent noticed a change.
been geting those same cards for 3 yrs i havent fixed mine yet as i dont have any reason to yet ,

161 - 177 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.