Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Within the last week, I have been having trouble with my power steering. The car only has issues when returning from a left or right turn, between 12 oclock position and 10 oclock or 2 oclock positions on the wheel. I can turn left or right no issues, but when I turn back to straighten out the car, there is a lot or resistance just before I get the wheel fully straight. I first noticed it when the car stayed in a turn after taking a left from a stop light. I can turn the wheel straight with a small amount of effort, but there is a definate resistance.
Any Ideas?

2006 Cobalt LS Manual 2.2 stock with 61K on it

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yup, your intermediate steering shaft U-joint is starting to seize. It will get a bit worse before all of a sudden appear to have cured itself at which point it will start to make noise over bumps or if you suddenly brake accompanied with a bit of play in steering.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, am I looking at replacement to fix it? Is this an easy fix? I'm not too bad at doing repairs myself. When looking under the hood, there is some corrosion at the u-joint where the steering shaft goes into the shaft that connects to the steering rack. Is that where you are talking about?

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

And thanks Coby7 for the quick response.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Would it help temporarily to hit it with WD40 or something?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah that's the area, and can't hurt to squirt the be-jesus out of it. But got to tell you if it helps it will be for a short duration but it will give you a great clue if this is your problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That worked. That is the trouble spot. Does anyone sell that U-Joint individually? I will look it up when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No, this is the intermediate shaft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.