Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt LS 5 speed manual. A couple months ago the battery completely died and it sat there for a few months. Now with a new battery the car drives great besides the power steering which is only partially functional. The reason I know its partially functional is because when the car is off and battery is disconnected, the wheel is harder to turn compared to when it is started.

Looking under the drivers side dash, it is apparent that the previous owner has messed with the wiring for some reason. However, I have owned the car for 3 years now and only has the problem started after it has sat with a completely dead battery for a few months.

I have checked the 60 amp fuse under the hood as well as the 2 amp fuse on the passenger side fuse box. Both are functional and have even been replaced just for extra measures and assurance. The wiring diagram has been followed and the motor has power, and been replaced. The power steering control module attached to the steering column has power as well. Although this is a part that I am not 100% sure as of yet.

And finally, while replacing the motor and checking wire routing, I have noticed 2 wires that are not connected to any place. A white and yellow wire. When checking voltages for each wire I had 0V and 1.7V respectively. I am not sure as to where these wires connect to because everything seems to have a connection.

Any help would be appreciated enormously, and thank you for all your time in advance. I hope I could be as descriptive as possible. Please find attach some pictures of under the drivers side dash wiring.

Note: when turning the wheel, the headlights dim a little bit, and the idle rpm lowers and raises by a small amount.

Attachments

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see what the actual problem was?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see what the actual problem was?
Sorry my fault. The question is whether or not these wires affect the power steering? And does anyone know where these wires originally attach to?

·
Registered
7 Posts
from the pictures especially 233905 those wires don't look like factory wiring to me as far as I know GM never used 4 conductor sjo cord to do any wiring - has the car had an alarm system added or remote start maybe? They look like something the previous owner added

1 - 4 of 4 Posts