Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 cobalt 4dr.
this car has been great except for a few problems, power steering went out due to that recall a few years back, gm wouldnt cover that, even though it was recalled i had to pay out of pocket.

shortly after that happened 3 out of my 4 power windows stopped rolling down, no click, no noises nothing, i know its usually motor that needs to be replaced but i find it strange 3 windows all did it within a few months. (driver and 2 rear windows are broke. front passenger works great) does this sound like a random coincidence of all the motors going, or like an electrical problem to you guys? last time i checked window motors ran at 125 new, i dont have the cash to replace those, but i sure in hell cant afford electrical repairs either i would imagine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
might be a good idea to bust out a multimeter and start going down the line starting with the motor. If it has power when "activated" problem solved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do not own a multimeter. i am not a very big car guy, therefore, i have standard non car tools. do you think perhaps advanced autoparts or autozone might check the wiring for me for free if i pull the paneling off????

if somethings broken, give me an hour with my hands and i can figure it out. if i cant find the problem that way, give me an hour with a laptop and i can usually figure it out. I just recently started working on cars as a hobby, ive been replacing parts in my friends truck for about a month ago, and ive been reading non stop on here and a few other sites. So im new to this car thing :p

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

(correct me if im wrong) it cant be fuses because all 4 windows would stop if it was blown.
perhaps shoddy cheap switches that malfunctioned?
loose wires?
if it was a ground out wouldnt it either be all 4 windows or just one side of car and not 3 windows? i figure they ran rear windows thru front...like i said im a NOOB at this :/
but what other way than research, than trial and error ya know?

---------- Post added at 03:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

also, would putting headlights/dome lights on and hitting the switch dim the lights??? that would help determine whether its electrical or mechanical.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gm said the recall was already used up before we got the car. their replacement part had the same issue as the part they originally replaced, but the second one had a different model number so it wasnt under the recall. a dealership had my vehicle for 3 weeks while they put in a request to gm, and i was personally on the phone with multiple managers. probably not going chevy again after that shit.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Cobalt door switches hate rain. If at any point your drivers door was exposed, chances are the switches are bad. Take the panel apart and investigate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i press any of the switches the dome light dims. so doesnt that rule out all electrical problems? i guess the 3 windows must be that all the motors went bad?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Would be one hell of a coincidence but could happen. If lights dim, sure looks like switch is working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
idk how sensitive window motors are but maybe dirt/grime caught up in there could stop it from working? idk anybody have any ideas besides motor based on what ive found so far?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.