Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so yeah my bro(who knows nothing about cars) was coming hom from work tonight in the familys cobalt (I just got in) and he was coming around a 90Deg corner when he said "all of the sudden the steering wheel went stiff I couldn't move it" and he was shaking and all worked up he didnt know what happend.. lol he thought a stick was jammed in the wheel

So yeah he smashed a curb with the front wheel sideways and the whole assembly on the pass-side frnt is all busted, the wheel had the craziest camber you'd ever seen.

so anyhow the ******* off a towtruck driver took it to the stealership now. he was like "haha another piece of shit cobalt off the road" I wanted to kill him.

Question is, should we harass GM to pay for the damage? afterall it was a powersteering malfunction that THEY KNEW ABOUT, I think they should, hell if it was a busy intersection it could have been a lot worse right?

What do you guys think?

EDIT********************************************
I just got off the phone with my dad and he said the ps letter was for our malibu, NOT THE COBALT, so we didnt recieve a letter about it

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just got mine and its going in on Wednesday. But glad everyone is ok! Thats truly all that matters.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What? no? he has a date for when he's supposed to bring it into the dealership, I tried to just waltz on in to with my car after getting a letter to get it fixed ahead of time to before my date and they sent me back.

yeah everyones ok thats good I know, but moneys tight and this doesnt look cheap BY ANY MEANS to fix.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Steering wheel shouldn't have gone stiff - it just turns into manual steering mode - which, when you're moving, doesn't really affect it. Unless it locked the wheels. It's possible the FWD-ness just understeered.

Regardless, if it was 100% a PS problem, tell the dealer to fix that shit.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
again I know how to drive without P/S, but my bro never experienced that before and he was makign a left through an intersection and he said "the steering went numb" sounds like P/S to me.

So were waiting for a call from the dealer, the **** head Tow jockey dropped it off there, I was not in the mood to go with him.

But like I said my dads been selling cars there forever and they wont **** him around.

well the dealer called my dad and said it would be a 3.5-4thousand dollar repair!!!! and hes callin GM Legal about it, so we'll see, my brother has such a bad bruise on his head from smacking his head off the steering wheel, thank god it was a quiet intersection :S .

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Insurance...?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Take it to the dealership and or file insurance claim. I just called about the recall on my car. Scheduled for Friday. Hopefully they just need to replace the unit under the dash and nothing under the car. They will have fun with my 3.5" of clearance lol. I tried to get under it yesterday with my low profile racing jack and it wouldnt fit. Had to have a buddy lift up on the car lol. They told me it would take approximately 30 minutes to fix.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Take it to the dealership and or file insurance claim. I just called about the recall on my car. Scheduled for Friday. Hopefully they just need to replace the unit under the dash and nothing under the car. They will have fun with my 3.5" of clearance lol. I tried to get under it yesterday with my low profile racing jack and it wouldnt fit. Had to have a buddy lift up on the car lol. They told me it would take approximately 30 minutes to fix.
Just drive up onto pieces of wood.

·
Registered
978 Posts
guess i will take mine in then after reading that, making my appointment tomorrow glad everyone is ok

·
Registered
703 Posts
ALL Cobalts were recalled. GM has to take care of the Bill since the power steering motor failed. If they don't agree to it go on Edmunds.com, find a Cobalt forum and ream them a new one. GM Social Media will contact you and take care of it.
Gotta know the in's and out's of dealing with these people. This is definitely GM's fault.

·
Registered
208 Posts
*Note to self* If you're built like a 12 year old vegetarian don't go too fast around a turn lol.

I personally don't think it's GM fault and i'll just leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
*Note to self* If you're built like a 12 year old vegetarian don't go too fast around a turn lol.

I personally don't think it's GM fault and i'll just leave it at that.
yeah well hes a newer driver and clearly didnt expect his steering to fail going around a 90degree turn, I dont see how this is our fault, the accident was caused by a faulty unit GM installed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.