·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2008 Cobalt LS.
I started the 'TPMS Matching Process for Vehicles
without Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)'

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_owners.pdf

Page: 5-62

I can start the process and reach the passenger side front tire:

5. Start with the driver side front tire

6. Remove the valve cap from the tire’s valve stem.
Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or
decreasing the tire’s air pressure for about
eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to
30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all
the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor
identification code has been matched to the tire/
wheel position.

7. The passenger side front turn signal comes on to
indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned.
Proceed to the passenger side front tire and
repeat the procedure in Step 6.

Till here everything is good but when I increasing or
decreasing the tire’s air pressure in the second tire/passenger side front tire the horn chirp doesn't come up.

What could be the reason?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe the battery in that TPMS has finally died. They last about 7-8 years on average.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a special battery for the TPMS?
But I don't think it is the battery because I restarted the whole process with all the chirps and signals and once again I reached only that the second light/passenger side front turn signal comes on.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Move a tire from the rear to the front passenger if it works and goes on to the passenger rear you know it's the TPMS. You can't change the battery, it is soldered in place and sealed with epoxy. You'll have to get a new one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over the weekend I hope I have time to move the tires (Thanks Coby7).

What I want to add is that also this happens:
"When the system detects a malfunction, the low tire warning
light flashes for about one minute and then stays
on for the remainder of the ignition cycle. A DIC warning
message is also displayed."

Question:
In the Owners Manual it says:

"Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code.
Any time you replace one or more of the TPMS sensors
or rotate the vehicle’s tires, the identification codes
need to be matched to the new tire/wheel location.
The sensors are matched, to the tire/wheel locations,
in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger
side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver
side rear tire using a TPMS diagnostic tool. See your
dealer/retailer for service.
The TPMS sensors can also be matched to each
tire/wheel position by increasing or decreasing the tire’s
air pressure....."

Are there two TPMS Sensor Matching Processes?

1) by increasing or decreasing the tire’s air pressure
2) by matching the identification codes to the new tire/wheel location (see text above)?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you don't have one of these...

You will need to use procedure; 1)by increasing or decreasing the tire’s air pressure

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The EL-50448 is a TPMS programming tool for GM. It saves you from deflating or inflating tires to set them in their proper location. You just initiate TPMS programming mode and place it close to the valve stem of the tire that has the park light illuminated and press the white transmit button. Easy as pie.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great tool! Better than increasing or decreasing all the tire’s air pressure and waiting for the chirp.
Thank you very much.

What information could I get about the TPMS with a OBD-Scanner?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Nothing, most OBDII scanners don't communicate with the RCDLR module unless it's a TechII.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some more help please...

In the Owner's Manual it says:

"TPMS Matching Process for Vehicles
without Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)

3. Using the Driver Information Center (DIC), press
the INFO and Set/Reset buttons at the same time
for about one second. Then press and release
the INFO button until the TIRE LEARN? message
displays.
..."

That doesn't work for me. I can reach (sometimes) TIRE LEARN? but basically only by playing around.
What do I have to do/press to start the TPMS learn mode?

Thanks once again.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Then you press and hold reset until you get TPMS learn mode

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you very much Coby7!
Sorry but what do you mean?
'Press the INFO and Set/Reset buttons at the same time for about one second and then press and hold reset until you get TPMS learn mode.'
That's what you mean?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coby7 my friend! Thanks a lot but:
Still doesn't work.
When I start the engine the text "SVC Tire Monitor' comes up at once. The tire symbol is flashing for about on minute.
Could you explain this for an I... once again?
But slow with a lot of details.
Please!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I cannot explain it better than the manual!

TPMS Matching Process for Vehicles with Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)

1.Set the parking brake.
2.Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
3.Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's lock and unlock buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.
4.Start with the driver side front tire. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner's sensor is ready to be learned.
5.Remove the valve cap from the tire's valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.
6.The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
7.The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
8.The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
9.After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.

If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

10.Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
11.Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

TPMS Matching Process for Vehicles without Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)

1.Set the parking brake.
2.Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
3.Using the Driver Information Center (DIC), press the INFO and Set/Reset buttons at the same time for about one second. Then press and release the INFO button until the TIRE LEARN? message displays.
4.Press and hold the Set/Reset DIC button for approximately three seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice to indicate the TPMS receiver is ready and the TIRE LEARN ON message displays. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned.
5.Start with the driver side front tire.
6.Remove the valve cap from the tire's valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.
7.The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 6.
8.The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 6.
9.The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 6.
10.After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. The LEARN COMPLETE message displays if all four tire positions are learned. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.

If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, the TIRE LEARN? message displays on the DIC. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

11.Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
12.Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.