Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the cobalt scene and modifiying cars in general and I just had a question for you guys. I just put 18" rims and tires on my 08 cobalt LS, and noticed that the wheel pulls to right and to the left sometimes when I brake, Is this a problem? It was also raining at the time. They went on smoothly and there didnt seem to be any rubbing or any problems at all. (until this).

Got any advice? The rims were balanced as well.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I also just got a TPMS tire pressure monitoring system light go off on the display, I wonder if this is just because of the low profile tires.
Hmmm... idk, my car just shakes really bad, i know how to fix it, i just havent yet, lol

and the TPMS light is on b/c you now have no sensors b/c they're located in your factory valve stems i think...so your car thinks theres something wrong w/ the TPMS & that it needs servicing... either buy more sensors or you might b able to move the factory ones to the new rims... that light is on for me too, i just ignore it b/c i know what's goin on, lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah, see that was along the lines of what I was thinking after reading a bit of the manual, I just didnt know where the bugger little sensors were hidden. Your rotors are warped i think? Not 100% sure but I've heard that can cause excessive shaking when you brake.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Warped rotors will not cause a car to turn.

What i believe you are experiencing is bump steer. Its a normal thing for when you get wider tires.
What size are they?

·
Registered
142 Posts
warped rotors will cause slight vibration, so will improper balancing... its more of a quealing noise as an indication of warped rotors because they are grinidng un evenly... it seems anyone that modifies the tires/suspension on a cobalt is prone to vibrations my car SMOOTH as a whistle.. as soon as i dropped her she started having seizures at low speeds lol got an alignment she was fine just pissy can't find the issue lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
when i got new wheels and tires for my ls i went to a 205/40zr17 and i had the same problem along with very sensitive stearing.luckily we had a alignment rack at school so i tried different specs an found that if i had the tires toed out but still in factory specs it helped alot

·
Registered
240 Posts
If the tire height is changed from O.E., it can adversely affect the caster settings of the alignment for the car. This can cause very loose, or twitchy, darty steering, which sounds very similar to what you've described.

If the car is pulling when the brakes are applied, this could be exasterbating the caster setting problem and/or point to a sticking brake caliper on one side.

I'm new to the cobalt scene and modifiying cars in general and I just had a question for you guys. I just put 18" rims and tires on my 08 cobalt LS, and noticed that the wheel pulls to right and to the left sometimes when I brake, Is this a problem? It was also raining at the time. They went on smoothly and there didnt seem to be any rubbing or any problems at all. (until this).

Got any advice? The rims were balanced as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.