Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I hooked up my HID fogs the other night, and they worked! And tonight when I went to show my fiance the fog lights, the passenger side didn't turn on... it would just flicker a bit then go out like it was trying to come on.. so I had her try the lights again and it finally stayed on... weird... so I continued to try them off and on, off and on, and the passenger side just kept flickering. It was weird because it sounded like a boom going through my speakers in my car. Not a loud boom but a distinct, repetative one. So I said weird again and went to try to hook up my headlight harness, adjusted a few things and passenger side headlight was doing the same thing as the fog lights. Now I'm really confused! What is going on with my car? To cap it all off, my DIC says to SVC about everything! AND the car won't start. It just clicks and shows the Check Engine and Sercurity light on when I try to start it.... What did I do wrong? Or what is wrong? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
*check my post in Arman's thread. :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What fuse should I be checking? I know my DRL fuse is burned out but would that be causing that?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
What fuse should I be checking? I know my DRL fuse is burned out but would that be causing that?
I would try replacing the DRL fuse. I did have the exact same problem from the sounds of it. But there should be a fuse for each side of the headlights, and possibly for each side of fog light as well (I don't have fog lights) your foglights are HID as well right?
the fuse box cover will have a diagram, and should say which fuse is for which headlight and which side etc. Check it once it's light outside so you have good visibility. good luck! keep us updated

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My main question is, why is my car saying to SVC everything and not starting?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
My main question is, why is my car saying to SVC everything and not starting?
your car's not starting?....hmmm. that's weird...wouldnt be a dead battery woudlt it?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, otherwise I wouldn't have my other lights on.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Nope, otherwise I wouldn't have my other lights on.
hmm well if it's not the fuses and your car's not starting then I have no idea...you didn't short anything? check the fuses in the car as well.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

oh and do you have an aftermarket alarm? it's a longshot but if so try disconnecting power from it. it happened to me with my old alarm. that's about the last idea I have. I'm heading to bed, i'll check for updates in the morning. hope you find out what it is, sorry I can't help much more!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I don't have an aftermarket alarm, but my car did this crap once before and I jump started the car, even though the battery wasn't dead, it was quite different. I think maybe a bad BCM? I guess I'll try giving it a jump in the morning... and see if that works. I will contact Matt if I can't figure it out as well, he might have a few suggestions.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
35w

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmm. If you had 55w I was going to say you've fried your wiring harness somewhere...

BUT turning them on and off a bunch of times like you described could have done the same thing. You've probably got a short somewhere now which may be why you're having starting issues.

Find the problem in your wiring harness and fix it, then purchase a set of relay harnesses for your HIDs to avoid this in the future.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is all being done through relay harnesses.

When I turn it on, the lights, the driver side is on, but kind of twitches, and the passenger side is going nuts, off/on, off/on, etc. Just a continuous pulse of light.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

I have 4 35w ballasts, 2 for fogs, 2 for headlights. Each set of lights is hooked up via relay harness. I have each light grounded to a different spot, except with the relay of the fogs it's all one ground. I don't know if this makes a difference but all the power is coming from the + pillar on the fuse box. I put bigger ring connectors on + parts of each relay and put them over the screw and screwed the pillar back down on top of them. So there are 4 power sources connected to that 1 pillar. It's the pillar underneath connected with the fuse box.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Alright, turns out it was a low battery, which for whatever reason I just had to put jumper cables on it and it started right up (Lol which that sounds like DUR! but just go with it!). It was throwing me off because everything was starting right up as normal, but just didn't have enough power for it all.

-Next question is... my brights aren't turning on. Is there something I need to wire specificly to get them to work? I'm assumming it's something with the solenoid.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did anybody think perhaps you need to check grounding? It sounds like you have residual charge problems and/or fuse burn out.

Also if it flickers there are VERY good chances your ballast is no good. You should check that too.

When grounding make sure they contact bare metal well. Make sure that the screws/surface is paint/oxidation free. If it wasn't properly grounded you can cause alot of problems even burning out the controller chip of some bi-xenon HID kits.

You should start there in my opinion.

goo luck

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grounds are all good, and I aimed the lights today, I ****ed up, yes I said ****ed up, the bezel tonight painting... so I have to get an e-bay one and tear that apart.

I'm still not getting my brights to come on. I plugged the little connector in, nothing. Well it's time to take stuff apart again, because I need the car and I won't have time to work on the lights until I get the other stuff, I'll get a few teaser pictures, hopefully tonight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.