Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this morning when i was trying to start my car i stuck the key in the ignition as usual. well it wouldnt turn. it was like it was locked and wouldnt move. i did not do anything out of the ordinary when i parked it.. the key would go in and come out find it just would not budge when i tried to turn it. none of the lights came on the dash like they usualy do. i put the e brake down tried pushing it a little idk why i thought maybe it would help.. still nothing... but i then just started hitting the steering wheel near where the key goes in because i was already late for work and then after that it magically worked. so any idea what the problem was so it doesnt happen again?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds to be like your steering column locked. You do that by wiggling the steering wheel when the car is off. It's a theft prevent thing, stops people from pushing your car away with any control.

Wiggling the steering wheel with the key in it, like you did, fixes it.

Although, if it happens a lot in the future, I may be wrong.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I assume your car is an automatic and event trying to wiggling the steering wheel may not work for you for some reason the same shit happens sometimes to my wife's dodge neon and oddly enough opening the door does the trick sometimes call me crazy if you want but it happened today and that did the trick,, oh and good tip for you in automatics there is a lock when you put your car in parking just make sure you do it all the way down to the parking if you don't that's what makes your keys from not letting you turn on the car..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
na its a 5 speed and the steering wheel wouldnt move at all but everythings good now and sorry camo i havent had time since finals ended last friday. i just put one up its not the best but its a start ha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.