Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was at my shop checking a few things on my car then I decided to check if there is any hard codes and such and my obd wasn’t working not ever giving power! What should I do?

·
Registered
249 Posts
First check for blown fuses. Sometimes a cigarette lighter outlet can short and cause the circuit to blow the fuse. Usually OBD port is powered on the same circuit as the lighter outlet. Not that it would be easy to get a coin the the outlet, but I’ve seen a lot of coins inside the outlets and cause this kind of problem. Also a faulty charger can over amp the outlet sometimes, even though it may work to charge a phone or other device just fine. So that’s a common possibility.

I can’t remember exactly if the lighter outlet is on the OBD circuit. But either way it may just be a blown fuse. If that isn’t the case, you may have a bad module or wiring. I have seen the modules go bad and not be able to be linked with a scanner. Hopefully this isn’t the case because you’ll have to have a module programmed by the dealer or someone with a Tech II scanner, unless you happen to own one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First check for blown fuses. Sometimes a cigarette lighter outlet can short and cause the circuit to blow the fuse. Usually OBD port is powered on the same circuit as the lighter outlet. Not that it would be easy to get a coin the the outlet, but I’ve seen a lot of coins inside the outlets and cause this kind of problem. Also a faulty charger can over amp the outlet sometimes, even though it may work to charge a phone or other device just fine. So that’s a common possibility.

I can’t remember exactly if the lighter outlet is on the OBD circuit. But either way it may just be a blown fuse. If that isn’t the case, you may have a bad module or wiring. I have seen the modules go bad and not be able to be linked with a scanner. Hopefully this isn’t the case because you’ll have to have a module programmed by the dealer or someone with a Tech II scanner, unless you happen to own one.
I have a maxisys comp at my job I can use at any time. I will def check that. Thank you. I’ll keep posted

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It actually might be the cause because my cigarette lighter did stop working 🤨🧐inspection time today!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts