Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was at work today looking at the back end of my cobalt through the window and started day dreaming. I came up with a concept inspired by an article i read along time ago by this guy who put a 351 windsor in a ford focus. If you had the money (key word IF) why not take a C6 Z06 donnor corvette and spend thousands of hours gutting and cutting up a cobalt to rework as many possible vette parts into it as you can. An LS7, IRS, 6 speed, the whole shabang. (even that sick center exit dual exhaust) I imaged some pretty sick ideas so i'm going to draw up some sketches and post em. I KNOW i'm not the only one who's thought about this... and if we're playing with the idea anyway. i might as well draw up a Cobalt ZR1 while i'm at it!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It costs a ton of money to do it, and by the time you're done, it basically is going to be a one off car that is basically just a shell afterward. You're going to have to basically build a frame since you will have to destroy the unibody's integrity to convert the car to RWD. There is a guy on CSS that has dropped 6 figures into trying to turn his SS/SC into a RWD dragster. The only thing that left of the Cobalt he started out with is basically just the shell.

·
Registered
867 Posts
it would take to much time and money to complete

i say just stick to the more simpler mods lol
this lol
or drop a beast engine into another project car that wouldnt cost as much

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
You could buy a Vette for less, handle better, look better and go faster. I mean, yeah, a V8 Cobalt would be sweet (like the red one being done on here - that thing is SICK, but is completely custom, so it doesn't really fall under what I just said), but if you're going to take a Vette donor, why not just use the Vette...:laugh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buy a vette then put the balts body on the vette frame. Thats all i could come up with that would be feasible without going overboard

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
thing i dont get about the rwd balt is that. there's a crapload of v8 balts that do competitive racing. shoot there'seven 2 or 3 locally. i dont understand why that dudes project has so many kinks.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
thing i dont get about the rwd balt is that. there's a crapload of v8 balts that do competitive racing. shoot there'seven 2 or 3 locally. i dont understand why that dudes project has so many kinks.
One thing could be the body of the cobalt isn't tunnelled for a rwd tranny, I know the dudes also been trying to beef up the frame to handle big hp.

·
Registered
931 Posts
There is a gut in my car club "Street Outlawz" who just showed up to a Toys for Tots meet last week with a Supra that has a LS1 Corvette engine swapped in it. It also has all of the bolt ons you could imagine on it. Dyno sheet was 657hp! There is a lot of guys on my local club forums that have some crazy mods and engine swaps. If you are in the Pa, Md, Va, Ny, Nj area check the forums out. www.TRISTATETUNERS.com

I have a 240sx project that I am putting a 305 chevy engine in... Should be a ballsy drifter when I am done with it!! I know someone with a Viper engine for $4k I have been thinking about finding a way to get in my Balt. That would be a "sleeper" lmao

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sweet idea...
Can someone post the v8 cobalt thats being done now i have to see this....i searched and found nothing

·
Registered
840 Posts
a V8 balt would be sooo much fun!!! i just pictured pulling up to a mustang gt, letting him (or her) rev their engine, then right b4 the light turns green rev the beast and peel ass for like 100 yards! lmao :laugh:
there are videos of V8 miatas on youtube. but cobalts look WAAY better IMO.

ive always wanted to put the engine from my dad's 05 durango (5.7L hemi) and puting it in my neighbors Cooper S. :amuse:

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
just build and turbo ur. 2.4,2.2, 2.0 etc. ull eat v8s lol

my new gto will be quick from a dig but until i add boost. the turbo 4 bangers will have power/ weight advg. from a roll

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
Yeah... I've had this thought too. Several times. Only, I would like to make it a rear-engined hatchback if I was going to be spending that amount of money.
Oh, and since it would cost me a fortune, forget the v8. I'd make it a two seater and swap a Viper motor into the back. :laugh:

This just comes from seeing my favorite swap... Fully functional AWD rear-engined Mustang... with a Lamborghini Murcielago V12 in it. :love:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.