Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New to the group. Looking for someone to help me from personal experience. Has anyone with a Chevy Cobalt ever added a tow hitch and pulled a travel trailer? I have a 2009 LS, manual. I think the pull capacity is 1000 pounds and I have found a few teardrops under this weight. Wondering if any of you owners have done this with your Cobalt.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I can’t image a Cobalt being a decent tow vehicle. Hopefully your brakes and clutch are in amazing shape or else you should plan on having to repair both. At least it’s not an automatic, I can see the automatic transmission overheating badly.

If you plan to tow, you may need to add an additional cooling fan in front of the condenser that can be switched on and off. I don’t think the cooling system with the one fan will be able to keep up.

I’m sure you can tow a small ultra light trailer with the car, but don’t be surprised if something under the hood goes wrong.

Also you may want to add some air springs or shocks for the extra weight so the rear stays level.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't had any issues so far towing a 4x7 utility trailer, 2 dirtbikes, and gear with my 2006 LS Auto.
My typical trip is about 1.5 hours each way on NH backroads.

The auto handles the weight just fine, but you absolutely feel the weight and third gear gets plenty of use on hills. Per Wikipedia, the 4T45E is designed for vehicles up to 4,500lb GVWR - right around where a Cobalt towing 1,000lbs would be. Weight distribution is a non-issue, provided you aren't grossly exceeding the tongue weight limit.

As for trans cooling, I haven't investigated that yet but if I get a chance to monitor it on my next trip I'll report back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts