Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Cobalt and it has spun a bearing. I was wondering if the engine could be pulled out the top because no lift is available. The engine is a 2.2L ecotec. Can I just replace the crank with a new one with new bearings? Funds are low at the moment! Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes it can be pulled from the top. They are pretty easy to pull. Do you know what bearing spun? If it's the lower cap bearing then u can just drop the oil pan and replace it without pulling the motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mckinney88,
It spun the #1 connecting rod bearing. The journal on the crank is not real bad but I was told I couldn't pull the engine and replace the crank, why? I don't know. They sell crankshafts so they must be replaceable. So the engine is easily pulled out the top? Any tips I need to know? Thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
These motors are considered throw away motors which is why you're being told that it can't be done. It's not that it can't be done because it can, but it will cost you more to pull the motor and replace the bearings and crankshaft then it would to just go buy a used motor from a salvage yard. You basically have two options.

1. You can pull the head off and drop the pan to gain access to your Pistons to pull them out and replace the bearings.

2. Go buy a used motor from a salvage yard.

If It was my vehicle I would just go buy a used motor I only paid $350 for mine that's a lot cheaper then what yourll be paying if you go with option 1. If you need to know anything else let me know and I'll try to help as much as I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.