·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
My '07 has the aux port...

I'm sure it's possible...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
you can't just plug it in and make it work. you'd have to go out of your way to wire it up because the harness for the 05 isnt made to have the aux.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
not to mention the fact that a stock headunit locks itself if you take it out of your car...they are vin specific...and require a dealer to reprogram them...my local stealership said $75 to do it...you better of to get an aftermarket headunit...i have usb and av for like $200 installed.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Easiest solution is to go aftermarket, but if you insist on going with an OEM HU, you'll want to see this thread:

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/audio-video/21037-factory-head-unit-swap.html

If you have the ability to tune to channels XM1 or XM2 (Where you have the Radio ID, Preview and Emergency alert channels), you can add aux to your stock HU. It requires you to tap into the XM wires with a aux cable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't think it will work the wiring is different.. Hopefully I'm wrong though cause I would like to do this as well!!

This one WITHOUT AUX:

And WITH Aux:

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Man that '05 radio is ugly. I'm glad they changed it!

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
I just hadn't seen it close up - but that was definitely an "older" corporate radio, so it makes sense.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Not without a lot of wiring...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Well... theres the short and the long answer:

Short: No.

Long: Yes if you re-pin the stock harness and then find a tech that knows the Nuances of the VIN programming for the radios. There has only been one documented case of someone doing this successfully on CSS.net (Linked in the other thread). Its something that only he had done since most people usually find it more cost effective and much simpler to go with an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Dang alright Ima go look for that guys post on css.net I wanna know how!!
I linked to the other thread in this thread since someone else posted the same question last week. I linked to CSS's thread in that one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't see why these radios would be VIN specific. There isn't a single sign of any type of anti theft system on the 05 radios or the 08 radios.

To answer the question...yes it is possible but it requires you to get the wiring colors for your car(the12volt) and a harness that comes out of the new radio (you can get them at bestbuy/crutchfield for like $15 i think) then you just go ahead and wire it up. Worst comes to worst it doesnt work and you put your old one back in.

I repeat DO NOT CHOP OFF THE FACTORY HARNESSES behind your radio. If you are going to do it just tie into the wiring, it has a long enough harness to do so. Because if something goes wrong and you chop those off it's just another pain to put the old one back.

But again i see absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I don't see why these radios would be VIN specific. There isn't a single sign of any type of anti theft system on the 05 radios or the 08 radios.

To answer the question...yes it is possible but it requires you to get the wiring colors for your car(the12volt) and a harness that comes out of the new radio (you can get them at bestbuy/crutchfield for like $15 i think) then you just go ahead and wire it up. Worst comes to worst it doesnt work and you put your old one back in.

I repeat DO NOT CHOP OFF THE FACTORY HARNESSES behind your radio. If you are going to do it just tie into the wiring, it has a long enough harness to do so. Because if something goes wrong and you chop those off it's just another pain to put the old one back.

But again i see absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work.
It's been done once. So yes, it will work... but the biggest issue is finding a dealer tech that is willing to work with you on the Tech 2 relearn (There are 3 methods of running the relearn and only one of them actually works.) All cobalt radios have to be programmed with the VIN. They don't mark the radios with "anti-theft" on these ones, but they do have a chip that stores the VIN number. When you turn the car on, the radio will communicate with the BCM and run a VIN check. If the VINs match, the radio works. If the VIN check fails, then you will see "LOCKED" on the radio display.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.