Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cobalt is a 2006 ls and I really want to have cruise and audio controls on my steering wheel so I was going to get an ss steering wheel. I was wondering if the wiring is already there so I would just have to plug the steering wheel in, or if I would have to wire everything?

·
Registered
383 Posts
there might be a different way to find out, But when i thought about putting fogs in my ls i took off the dash pieces to see if the wires were there and sure enough they were. So you might have to take a look behind the dash to see. But again there might be an easier way lol

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Check pin "61" of "P1" of BCM to see if you have a gray wire. If you do your wired for cruise.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Check pin "61" of "P1" of BCM to see if you have a gray wire. If you do your wired for cruise.
I dont know if its a bad thing bringing back a thread, but I have been searching on this topic for a little while and I can't seem to find the answer.

I know I can add an aftermarket cruise control, but is it possible to add a SS steering wheel to an LS which is not wired for it already (I.E. with the missing pin 61 ) ? All of the tutorials I have seem so far are either adding a SS wheel to a car thats already wired.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Check your wires if they are there ...just plug in the wheel....and then drive yourself to your nearest dealer to get it turned on in the computer....should be around 150....even thought it takes less than 5 mins...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not possible /thread

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

If your an 06 u can swap on any 05 or 06 steering wheel but can't swap to 07 plus

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I successfully did this to my 2009 LS XFE. I even had to run the wires but it wasn't that difficult. I had to buy micro connectors ($2) and a SS steering wheel ($50). I was able to have a friend program the BCM and about two hours after the install everything was (and still is) working perfectly.

Conclusion, yes it is possible and although it's easier if the wiring is there it's still possible if the wiring isn't there. I used this thread.
http://www.cobalt ss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-factory-cruise-control-remote-radio-control-installation-2007-2010-a-187817/

Normally it's only the LT with the wiring there and not on the LS so you'll most likely have to install the wires too (although I know it was redesigned a bit in 2007 so you'll have to check to make sure everything is the same).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the middle of installing factory cruise control on my 2006 LS. I found out, once I pulled the original steering wheel off, that the clockspring was not pre-wired for anything other than the horn. I bought a salvage steering column from eBay that had the correct clockspring and wiring connectors and ran the wires according to the link above. Oh, I also had to make a run to the local pick-n-pull for a BCM connector to source the gray terminal for pin #61. The only thing I need to complete this install is a gray steering wheel with cruise switches from a 05-06 LS or LT. Does anyone have one around for sale?? The salvage one I bought with switches is neutral (tan) and of no use to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I have one minus the air bag, what is it worth to you? Do you need the switches? I'm in eastern Canada and you would have to assume shipping too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have one minus the air bag, what is it worth to you? Do you need the switches? I'm in eastern Canada and you would have to assume shipping too.
Thanks Coby. I have a line on one from an eBay seller but if that falls through I'll message you and we can work out the details.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.