Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LS with roughly 35,000 miles on it.
I have a question about the Oil Life % built into the dash (which also tells you miles, trips and temperature)
A) how accurate is the oil life % reading
B)At what percentage chould i get an oil change?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
mhm around 20 % i go ahead and check because i have checked around 15% before and the oil has been completely black so

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
5% or so. I think it tells you to CHANGE OIL in a message when it's actually time. When the oil is black... it is doing its job, keeping contaminates and other particles in suspension.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
mhm either way i still do it my buddy works at an auto store and oil costs me like $15 and i have the gm ecotec filter adapter which makes life even easier and it ensures the balt is healthy so i normally change mine twice a year or about every 3,000 miles

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The DIC will nag at you around 5%. I usually go by the OLM percentage, changing it before it hits 0%.

As far as accuracy goes, it is much more in depth than the first OLM systems put into GM vehicles (Which was basically a mile counter). The OLM in our cars are a result of a formula GM made up that determines the life of the oil by taking into account a various number of factors such as engine speed, coolant temps...etc.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The DIC will nag at you around 5%. I usually go by the OLM percentage, changing it before it hits 0%.

As far as accuracy goes, it is much more in depth than the first OLM systems put into GM vehicles (Which was basically a mile counter). The OLM in our cars are a result of a formula GM made up that determines the life of the oil by taking into account a various number of factors such as engine speed, coolant temps...etc.
i have always wondered if i switched to synthetic would i have to change something in the ecu or would it automatically change and calculate the right life of the oil?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i have always wondered if i switched to synthetic would i have to change something in the ecu or would it automatically change and calculate the right life of the oil?
I think the calibration of the systems depends on what was intended to go in the vehicle. So your particular OLM will still probably go by the Dino oil calculations.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Had mine changed at 41% plus it's been 5 months.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Changing oil before it's actually needed is a huge waste of money and natural resources. The percentages recommended by the manufacturer is your best guideline. Read the information on this in your owners manual. If you didn't get one with the car, they are available online in a PDF format.
If the oil meets the GM specs recommended for your model/options.. that's all you need and will perform. The models that factory (not owner) require synthetic oil, should have synthetic oil, that meet factory specs.
Another thing, just because it is synthetic, it still may NOT meet GM specs for your application. Most regular oil and about all synthetics meet GM6094M oil specs, but some GM vehicle require synthetic oil that meets GM4178M specs. So it can be synthetic and still not meet GM requirements. Read your manual and read the oil container label. If it is not required, you are again, throwing away good money. For some reason, putting synthetic oil in a car that does not call for it, makes some poeople feel better, like the car feels the difference and is going to thank them!
Water is wet, but another brand or type of water isn't much wetter!! Get the point?
Af far as brand? Thats a totally different fight! 20 people,,, 20 different opinions and reasons. Personal choice there... Follow the GM specs, "starburst", weight and change intervals and you will be fine, in the brand YOU trust!

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Not wasting anything with the way I change my oil, when I do change it looks like its been used, not like its still perfectly fresh oil. Plus when I do drive my SS and regularly run it "hard" through the gears and with traffic I do spend a decent time having to idle and such, I do live in Charlotte after all lol. Yea I can more than likely go longer because the oil is not black or anything but I have never been one to prolong a change. Rather spend a little money and know my car wont die cause of lack of oil or something than have to pay some big $$ to fix or replace a motor.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Changing oil before it's actually needed is a huge waste of money and natural resources. The percentages recommended by the manufacturer is your best guideline. Read the information on this in your owners manual. If you didn't get one with the car, they are available online in a PDF format.
If the oil meets the GM specs recommended for your model/options.. that's all you need and will perform. The models that factory (not owner) require synthetic oil, should have synthetic oil, that meet factory specs.
Another thing, just because it is synthetic, it still may NOT meet GM specs for your application. Most regular oil and about all synthetics meet GM6094M oil specs, but some GM vehicle require synthetic oil that meets GM4178M specs. So it can be synthetic and still not meet GM requirements. Read your manual and read the oil container label. If it is not required, you are again, throwing away good money. For some reason, putting synthetic oil in a car that does not call for it, makes some poeople feel better, like the car feels the difference and is going to thank them!
Water is wet, but another brand or type of water isn't much wetter!! Get the point?
Af far as brand? Thats a totally different fight! 20 people,,, 20 different opinions and reasons. Personal choice there... Follow the GM specs, "starburst", weight and change intervals and you will be fine, in the brand YOU trust!

I run synthetic, and just change the oil less often. Since synthetic doesn't really break down, just gets dirty, there's a plus to putting it in any engine if you plan on driving it hard.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I change my oil 3000mi. AFTER it reads 0%. lol, jk. I just wait until the DIC bitches at me.
I do agree with what 423 posted. No point in waisting money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.