Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

question about out rims

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  cobalt08ls 
#1 ·
k i heard from a friend of mine that for the 08 cobalts if you want to put rims on you have to move the pressure sensor since the 08's have the whole tire pressure menu on the dash and all that and the 07's didn't
i wanted to get 17 inch rims and was wondering if i have to move a sensor or something

let me know

#2 ·
You have several options.
You can just put your new 17" rims and tires on using standard valve stems. Every time you start your car the monitor will indicate a sensor problem. Just hit the reset button on the steering wheel and it will stop. The little yellow tire pressure indicator on the instrument panel will always stay lit.
You can purchase new sensors from GM or find them on e-bay, figure 100.00 or more. Then install them with the new rims/tires, and re-program them using instructions in the owners manual.
When you have your new rims/tires installed, have the shop remove the sensors from your old rims, replacing them with regular stems, and use your old stuff for winter use. Than have the shop reinstall the sensors in your new rims, making sure they put them on the same position on the car, the sensor from the right front of the old rim to the right front of the new rim, and so on. That way you shouldn't have to re-program them. If you have the LS steelies, the sensors are two piece and you will have to purchase the valve part from Chevy, the sensor is reusable.
Hope this makes sense, I went through the sams thing with my 08 LS, but was lucky enough to find a set of new sensors on e-bay and just put them on my new 17" rims, keeping my factory rims for winter. It is OK to use sensors from your 15" rims on new 17" rims--the sensors only read pressure--they have no idea what size rims their on.
If you decide to go with no sensors at all it will not hurt the car and it will have no effect on the computer, it will not cause codes to flash, and there is NO way to disable or disconnect the sensor monitor in the dash.
GrumpysCobalt

#3 ·
so pretty much i could just take the sensors from the steelies and put them on the new 17 inch rims and ill be all set

i dont want any tire lights on on my dash...

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, you can. The sensors and the stem are two seperate parts, and the stem part is not re-usable. You'll have to buy the stems from a Chevy dealer as there dealer parts and as far as I know are not available from the aftermarket. Your tire/rim dealer should know all of this as all new cars have the TPMS, and this is standard stuff for them. Just remember to keep the sensors from one old rim to the new rim that its replacing on the same corner. Hopefully you won't have to re-program them. But if you get any type of sensor malfunction you'll have to re-program them all---its not hard or difficult---owners manual gives you step by step instructions---takes about 15 minutes for all 4 tires/rims.
You could also check with any salvage yards in your area. The sensors from any Cobalt, Pontiac G6, and HHR are all the same. Also, for info, the sensors on the steelies are rubber while the sensors that come on the alloy rims are metal, also two piece, and they un-screw so the stems are re-usable. You can use either type on your new rims.
Hope this helps.
GrumpysCobalt

#5 ·
well im hopefully geting rims in the summer.
so i would have to go to chevy and tell them im getting rims and need stems?
get the stems and than just bring the rims and tires to a shop and tell them everything
i know a guy who can do everything and he'll be framiliar with it

#6 ·
Disable the little yellow tire pressure indicator on the instrument panel

Is there anyway to disable the little yellow tire pressure indicator on the instrument panel when the pressure sensing valves are not installed?

The black electrical tape "mod" i'm using now is a fug ugly.

#7 ·
Yeah, just go to a dealer , tell them what model you have and they will give you the stems, The sensor just basically fits into the stem from the inside of the rim. However the stem goes on the rim just like a regular stem, thus to remove it you have to cut it or pull it out destroying it.

As far as I know there is no way to disable the yellow indicator, its an intrical part of the system. There maybe an electrical wizard on the forum who could do it, but I think its an intrigated system.
GrumpysCobalt

#8 ·
well ill be using the steelies for the winter
and the 17 inch rims once i get them for the spring up to when i have to take them off and put the steelies on

couldn't i just take the steelies off and then buy these
item number 200288469460
and then buy new stems from chevy, put everything on the new rims and be all set
then when i want to put the steelies on just put them on and not have to touch the sensors?

#9 ·
I don't know what that item # is--no link.
The easiest way to get around taking off sensors, swapping sensors, switching sensors, ect. , is just to buy a new set and install them on your new rims. If your not going to be getting rims till summer you have 4-5 months to get a set. I've seen a set go for as low as 30.00, but usually average around 75.00. A dealer will be the highest, salvage yard and e-bay the lowest.
GrumpysCobalt

#10 · (Edited)
that item number is for ebay. for got to put that

let me know if i was to buy that set if i could just put them on my new rims and be all set. after i get the stems from chevy.

how much are the stems?

ebay item number
and

would work too right?

and if it would work what do i do? just buy those and buy the stems too?
and then bring the sensors and stems to a tire place like goodyear or firestone or pepboys and say i need these sensors installed on these rims. and they will know how to do everything

then i just take off the steelies and im all set don't have to touch the sensors
correct?

#11 · (Edited)
Yes, both of those sets will work on your Cobalt. Those are the sensors that come stock on the Cobalt and HHR with alloy wheels, and the stems UNSCREW off the sensor so you DO NOT have to buy new stems--they are re-usable. Only the steelies have rubber stems that are not reusable. The set 220317593957 is exactly like the set I purchased on e-bay for my alloy rims and work just fine. The other set for the HHR will also work. Just remember, you will have to re-program the monitor system in your car to "read" the new sensors. The step-by-step instructions are in your owners manual.
If you get them, just bring em to the dealer and they will know how to install them. This is standard stuff now-a-days.
GrumpysCobalt

#12 ·
cool
but could i get away with buying the green ones?
or should i just buy these

then bring them along w. my rims and tires to wherever i go and ask them to install and program

after all that i wont have any lights or anything on my dash correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.