Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my oil here in a few days and I plan on changing over to synthetic oil and i know that I don't have to do anything different to run synthetic but I was wondering since you change synthetic oil about every 8000 miles instead of 3000 with conventional, would the DIC act like the oil is the conventional and have the change oil soon message come up around that time or would it be able to recognize that the oil is synthetic and go by that

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Yes it would your engine cant read what type of oil you are using. If you change over you have to remember all of that stuff on your own.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
k i was just making sure i didnt know if it just checked if the oil was breaking down or if it just did it by miles
Its all calculated by miles, or time that the engine is running, Im not sure which one but it is one of them, just like the MPG.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The DIC in my car tells me to change it around 6k miles maybe a little more, getting ready to do the 3rd oil change on the car at 20k miles. Have run pennzoil platinum in it since I first changed the oil. Don't know why people run mobil 1 when there are better synthetics for the same price.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I drive 140 miles a day. M1 in my car. 8000 miles on oil change, and I change the filter at 4k. Even at this the DIC still has "life" left in my oil.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use Shell Synthetic or Pennzoil Platinum, whichever my dad can get for me for free since he works for Shell. Both seem to work great, although I still have a bias for the PP since my dad worked for Pennzoil before they were bought out by Shell.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I went from Royal purple to Castrol Syn and change mine when the oil life reads around 40% life left

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
I run Mobil 1...and kinda change it whenever. Generally between 5-7.5k miles...

Changing synthetic every 3000 miles is a waste of money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.