Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get either Gen 3 or 4 projectors. Also want to run HID's to help prevent the cracking of the lens.

But the question is what are you doing for the high beams since our lows shut off the highs are turned on.
I do use the highs lot now but don't know if i would need to with the Hid's in the projectors.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I want to get either Gen 3 or 4 projectors. Also want to run HID's to help prevent the cracking of the lens.

But the question is what are you doing for the high beams since our lows shut off the highs are turned on.
I do use the highs lot now but don't know if i would need to with the Hid's in the projectors.
IMO:

-Gen 4 are really nice, I am ordering a pair soon
-HID lows are good enough for driving
-If you really want you can put HIDs on the highs too.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
u dont have to do anything with them. i dont ever use mine. i see more with the hid lows.
and yes ive driven alot in the country when it was pitch black.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
have gen 2 projectors, i have a h1 an h7 bulb, seperate bulbs for my low and high, you can buy hid bulbs for both and rock both or just hid for the high, its all up to you...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i have first gen with 8k for my lows and i would never think of using my hi's haha mine are just there to pass inspection haha

·
Registered
464 Posts
We relayed my lights so all of my lights stay on with my highs like allgood has done. I also have HID's in all lights (hi/low/fog)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I can get you a walk through once my computer stops being moody and will recognize my memory card

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

k, So here's pics and the run down of how to do this:

First off you need a relay and harness that will look like this:

Here's a pic of the wiring diagram on the box.... these make no sense to me. Apparently the big square with the line through it is battery and the other two are 30amps that go where you need to hook into. The red wire in your harness can be pulled out, you don't need it.

Black goes to ground

Mine is hooked into where the little black relay (not the one your installing) is on your frame.

Yellow goes to battery

White goes to the green on your wiring harness for your lights (lows)

Blue goes to the yellow on your wiring harness for your lights (highs)

Plug in your relay and you should be good to go.

Finished result is the pics in the above post I will get night time shots of inside my car with just lows, then just highs, then both highs and lows (my relays pulled out right now).

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
i dont see why u would need lows and highs on at the same time... my hids are brighter and farther than the highs. even when i drive in the country i can see the entire road and like 10 feet off the side on both sides of the road. i dont have to worry about blinding oncoming traffic

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you shut your highs off like a decent human being and the law says to then you wont blind them. They do make a BIG difference if you keep them both on at the same time. Just one without the other not so much.
I did mine because my windshield is tinted so if anyone tried to claim I can't see out of it at night on a dark road I can more then call their bluff.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont see why u would need lows and highs on at the same time... my hids are brighter and farther than the highs. even when i drive in the country i can see the entire road and like 10 feet off the side on both sides of the road. i dont have to worry about blinding oncoming traffic
Thats what i'm kinda thinking also. But with the walk throuth i always have the option of hooking up the higs to stay on.

·
Registered
464 Posts
when you live in colorado and all there is is hills, you use your high beams quite a bit

Hills, curves, deer, frogs, rabbits, raccoons, cats etc etc etc etc... I feel your pain! lol I'm in Ontario, no mountains but lots of animals!

·
Registered
464 Posts
That's the benefit of having the lows on all the time, even though there's a warm up period for the highs, your not left in the dark, same if you have to go down to just lows.

and ooooers creepy about the post count! lol

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
more light the better in my book, just aslong as it does not blind others. I get blinded nightly when out cause people do not know how to aim their lows or just do not care to shut their highs off.
I get that all the time. When i'm on the back roads or any road with the highs on i turn them off when I see another car coming.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
tx hill country is littered with deer and animals but like i said. my 5k 35watts show me a huge range and i can see everything. if i hold the knob at a certain pt i can use both highs and lows and it didnt help anymore so i just never use the highs. idk. i do tend to see better in the dark so maybe its just a personal thing.

i think im a vampire. lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here's pics of the different stages. It really does make a big difference. Keep in mind with these pics that my windshield is tinted 30% so it's not the "true" brightness, but you get the idea. I tried taking pics outside the car but resting it on the wipers set it at the wrong angle and my hand isnt steady enough to hold it for night shots!

Lows

Highs

High/lows:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.