Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2008 ls...and a very sad story lol. i took my gf out to apple bees and when i backed out of the parking spot i backed right up into this guy. I got out and it left a really big dent in the guys truck but didn't do any damage to my bumper. I hit him with the Back right corner of my bumper. It looks like the back bumper is plastic cuz it kinda shaved away a little of the bumper and left a lot of red paint but no dents...i was wondering if i should have it taken in and looked at? It looks fine, but i don't know if i damaged any thing, and could i of from just backing into someone? Mostly just worried about the frame and those crush cans or what ever there called that are in your bumper to reduce the impact when you get rear ended. Also is it possible for me to just buy a new bumper and put it on? Do the bumpers just bolt on, I'm not to car savvy when it comes to this stuff, so could i do it myself with a friend????
MY CAR...):

HIS CAR....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i know!!! i got out of the car and he didn't say anything, he was really quite about it. but i tried buffing it out and got all the paint off but its all scuffed up from where i hit him. i finally got the time to do it so I'll take a pic of it and post it here in a couple days when i get time, probably on Monday or tomorrow.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you buy another bumper it will just bolt right up..should take you about 1/2 an hour to an hour. However it may not be painted. If you can, buff as much out as you can and see if there is any noticeable physical damage to the bumper, if not then you can get primer and color matching paint/clear coat and fix it your self.

·
Registered
69 Posts
either way, you should have full coverage insurance right? his truck is pretty bad, being dented on the body line and all.. so thats gunna cost you anyways.. so just get yours fixed too

·
Registered
575 Posts
I got backed into one of you guys lol but they left a month after I got my car. they tried to buff it out and it's on my rear bumper (opposite side tho). Luckily, some girl rearended my car when I was goin to school and I get an ss bumper cause I get a discount on parts since my mom works at a bodyshop :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think that if you HAVE to change the bumper go for an SS type or an aftermarket one, it will probably cost you close to the same thing.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think that if you HAVE to change the bumper go for an SS type or an aftermarket one, it will probably cost you close to the same thing.
cheaper, in some cases:D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Some of the full body kits out there are priced around the same or cheaper than a replacement bumper from GM...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya if i buy a new bumper im not going with the stock i was thinking after market. What ones look good though? I've only seen the drifter one and didn't like it. Also the reason i don't turn it into the insurance company is cuz my insurance will go up and we're just paying out of our pocket to get the guys car fixed which is around 1,800 bucks): Also if i did buy a new bumper i would try to prim and paint the recked one and if i did a good job on that then I'll paint the new one myself...but i have never done this before lol so we'll see....Also once i get it painted do i need to have it taken in to get the bumper put on or can i just do it myself? I know you said it just bolts right up Nugz but i have never done anything like this before so ya......I guess it sounds easy though
Also i didn't have time to get picks of it all buffed out cuz i was busy this weekend so ill probably have them up this weekend

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay i got the time to clean it off and take some pics so here they are...you cant really tell it even there sometimes because the black blends in with the dark blue so ya....

Bad angle...

·
Registered
4 Posts
looks good actually, I'd say a bumper change isnt needed, but it would be cool. I have no idea where to look for that stuff tho

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya i don't think im gonna fix it unless i got some money laying around that isn't being spent which probably wont happen..

M

·
0 Posts
gotta love the cobalt's rear bumper, it takes a good beatin, poly bumpers FTW

that buff job looks damn good, i wouldnt change it

sucks for that truck, looked like a damn nice one, at least he was cool about it

F

·
0 Posts
i'll just post on this thread instead of making a new one.. about the same story except i was at sheetz getting something to drink and it was a mini van i backed in to. now it was 17 degrees when i backed into the mini van so there is a good bit more damage to my rear bumper on the left corner. i'm a tech at a cadi. garage and an oem rear bumper at dealer cost for me is 325 bucks. so... ya screw that no cash. any one have any experience repairing plastic? i was thinking i could just sand off the paint in the damaged area and gorilla glue the cracks back together and then go over it with some fiberglass resin and sand and primer it. can't get it painted for the time being but i got a spray gun thats good enough to get some primer on it... dont know if i'd trust it putting paint on. but any opinions or body guys out there that have some advice for a mech guy lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.