Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been following the cruse forum about fuel mileage but on my cobalt i get for a 10 mile to work trip 30.1 mpg on average. i have been thinking of getting the trifecta tune for the cruze but i came across this on ebay and want to ask here what the general conscious is about this tuner chip? it is on ebay and for the cobalt is it snake oil or might it actually do something? thanks the item number is

thanks for any ideas? i don't see how it can help but ou just never know for sure. on the cruze i think the trifecta tune is the best way to go but on the cobalt this may work may not? bp.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I really really doubt it would do anything at all. If you take the time to read through the listing it says it saves you gas and gives you more power by adjusting the ECM based on how you drive and makes it learn... the computer does that from the factory...

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
how much fuel mileage does that trifecta tune give you anyway?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
How do you get 21 MPG

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If your looking at increasing your mpg, a K&N drop in filter will increase a wee tad bit more, maybe 1-2, depending on your driving habits. Far as a tune is concerned, your throwing money away to something that wont benefit mpg. A tune will increase more pulse width injection on your fuel injectors, so meaning, they stay on more milliseconds than stock with the tune. Your factory PCM has 15 driving habits it learns located in the fuel trim (short term and long term). It relies on 1 of 15 during your drive and your initial 5 minutes of driving averagely, your car is trying to achieve closed loop strategy. Meaning...your cat converter needs to warm up to 600 degrees in order for the 02 sensors to work properly. During the initial 5 minutes, their ignored and your car produces a "rich" condition, shooting more fuel through your engine til your engine temp as well hits normal operational temperature.

So in English (haha), a tune without dyno testing and adjusting your fuel maps (fuel injectors) to run a bit leaner, will cause more fuel efficiency. Hope this helps you. A chip or street bought tune has no true reading of your drive to and back, driving habits, or your sea level/barometric pressure.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Idk I just do. Automatic 05 Balt 2.2L coupe. CAI headers trifecta tune thrush muffler

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Header, lol...Vince from Trifecta tune cannot dyno tune your car, he takes what upgrades you have and determines the long term fuel trim based off a volumetric efficiency table and instead of your PCM making fuel adjustments during the rpm band of +8, +8, +9 (numbers representing to add more fuel), he sets them to 0 or +1, increasing your wideband range, thus creating more horsepower and torque. That's what a tune is today with OBDII systems.

With a dyno tune, they test the numbers on a pull and see what true HP and TQ your vehicle is pulling, then make adjustments during each pull to get the max your engine can produce with your setup. Im not saying Vince's tunes are horrible, they definitely show that they work, but even he knows, you can get more power with it on a chassis dyno.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all that power is ok but i want mpg's, so is that tune really worth the money for what you get in mpg's increase? they talk alot about that tune on the cruze forums but no one talks about the cobalt, so i asked here. i even sent an email to the michigan distributor and never got a reply from them about it. so they must not get any cobalts to tune there either. thanks bp.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
if you want mpg's, then should've researched to the hybrid series volt. its gas/electrical for the sake of redundancy. Full electric would be seeing the issues at Nissan's Leaf. The ford Cmax Zero is a load of plastic and garbage for the cost. Including the prius zero. So far, Tesla has the leading edge with their A battery system.

For fuel economy increase, a tune will destroy it. Just build it up to get a slightly lean condition and keep your foot smooth on that APP sensor. That's about all I can tell you. Sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.