Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's time to repaint the calipers. The first mistake I made was only putting on one coat. So I wanna do it right this time. Do I have to sand off the old paint? What kind of sandpaper do i need if I do? Do I have to primer? How long should I wait till applying a second coat of paint?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
What i did on mine is use a high build primer filler then 4 coats of paint 10 min in between each coat and then 4 coats of clear coat 10 min in between each coat. I didnt sand. Just scraped off old paint with a paint scraper and then used alcohol to clean it.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clear? hmm I might have to buy then. I have the brush on caliper paint.

·
Registered
496 Posts
What i did on mine is use a high build primer filler then 4 coats of paint 10 min in between each coat and then 4 coats of clear coat 10 min in between each coat. I didnt sand. Just scraped off old paint with a paint scraper and then used alcohol to clean it.

do you need to be careful not to gt paint in the mechanism of the caliper so performance isnt affected or can you just spray and pray?

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Damn, thats blue! I don't think they're going to get any more blue than they already are. Imagine doing the same coat process with red, black, or silver. O_O

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that'd be rice

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
like the color but u should have taped off more of the components so you wouldn t get that pain everywhere like on thestrut towers. I understand that no ones perfect but at least try to keep it as clean as you can

·
Registered
673 Posts
You definitely need to do a better job at masking off then that. At the very least get a garbage bag and tap it up so that most of the components are covered. Then tape off any fitting and especially rubber gromets or covers. Also mask the rotors obviously.

The results are in the prep. Prep it right, sand, prime, paint, clear and the results will last a long time.

I for the life of me can't figure out why when people are trying to do a cosmetic upgrade they half ass it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
well thats good. I just taped mine off with shopping bags and didnt have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
496 Posts
everyone on that forum seemed to be totally wrecking the idea of caliper covers, lol. ill probably paint them. what kinda of paint is needed. some kind of high temperature metal paint?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.