Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting a magnaflow muffler on my coupe at 530 tonight and he asked me if i wanted to get a weld or clamped...i said weld and it was only like 40 bucs

but would i need to get extra pipes or anything like that?

and how much worst is a clamp?

thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weld will take them 5 minutes to do.. when its clamped, there's always the chance it can fall off from vibration, a leak can form, or someone can unclamp it and steal it.
oh ok...i called this one place and they said itll cost $210 bucs n i said F U but they also said i needed all this extra piping and hangers n stuff

is that true or are they tryin to rip me off

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Price all depends on the inlet side of your muffler, if it is bigger than the pipe on your car then it will be extra work to make the pipe fit the muffler or vice versa. Also each shop has different prices, especially chain stores as you are only paying for a name and not the work.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
ya thats a rip off. if you find a shop that has good deals, it pays to go back. eg, it cost me like $40 to get a cat delete done for my old civic

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok cool thanks....but yeah i told him i had the muffler n he understood

it was monro muffler and brake services in Pittsburgh PA..which is a chain store but dayyuuummm

im takin it to Midas which is 30 feet away from Monro n theyre charging $40

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you have it welded on, you will not be able to replace it yourself when you want, necessitating paying someone else to use a torch to cut it off. If you have it clamped on, then you can do it yourself and save money. In functionality, one is not any worse or better than the other.

As for pipes, no way to answer that question, as we don't know what condition they are in. If they are rusted out and have holes in them, you'll need new pipes, if not, then you wont. Same hold true for the exhaust hangers. Wont know if they are any good or not until you look at them.

im getting a magnaflow muffler on my coupe at 530 tonight and he asked me if i wanted to get a weld or clamped...i said weld and it was only like 40 bucs

but would i need to get extra pipes or anything like that?

and how much worst is a clamp?

thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree. If its as simple as removing a 15" muffler and swapping in a 20" muffler of the same inlet/outlet diameter, they're overcharging you. However if they need to add pipe, change diameters, add hangers, replace rusted pipe - $200+ isnt out of the question. I'm sure they're dinging you extra hard though on the fact that you arent buying the muffler from them. We had a customer come in our store yesterday to pick up the Magnaflow Muffler he ordered for his truck as he was having a custom exhaust done at the muffler shop down the road. They wanted $120 for the muffler and $200 to do the work. We sold him the muffler for $70. The shop told him they wanted $250 to do the work now since he didnt buy the muffler from them.... he said "shove off" and is having someone else do it now.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
yikes! thats a rip off and a half. the guy I always deal with charges like $50 at most to weld on a muffler

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah thank yinz...it was like 48 bucs total price for installation and $85 for the muffler and was worth every penny

ive had it on for a week now and cant get out of my car...ive gotten so many compliments already and the one i recieved was a "beast"...and that was from a kid who drives a 5.0 mustang
n im ridin in my 2.2l "beast" lol

LOVE IT....deffinitly reccoment magnaflow for anyone who is just looking for a muffler

·
Registered
248 Posts
yeah thank yinz...it was like 48 bucs total price for installation and $85 for the muffler and was worth every penny

ive had it on for a week now and cant get out of my car...ive gotten so many compliments already and the one i recieved was a "beast"...and that was from a kid who drives a 5.0 mustang

LOVE IT....deffinitly reccoment magnaflow for anyone who is just looking for a muffler
is it loud?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
lol at the 5 litre... good to hear you got a good deal

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have you tested the fuel economy both before and after?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah...perfect sound IMO....it turns heads, but their faces look more courious then annoyed like if they heard a sh*t can civic drive by

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
how loud is it? the funniest one Ive heard is a sunfire with a fart cannon. it makes a noise no civic could hope to make (not that idiots dont try eh)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
like i cant really discribe but its deffinatly what your looking for if you want nothing like a ricy civic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.