Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to figure out the exact engine my car has, and the amount of horsepower, etc.

It's a 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe.

I've researched online that the LS doesn't have power windows, yet mine does? There's so much confusion to me what the difference is between the LT and the LS and I can't figure it out..

My car is currently in the shop so I don't have access to it... but if you guys can help it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
145 HP, 155 torque at the crank. Stock whp is 115, not sure about torque
I do remember you saying something about seeing stock base models on dynos, but there's no freaking way my stock LS has 115WHP, especially if it is rated at 155HP...you don't lose that much power through the transmission of energy.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Yup there is 3 or 4 on .net anywhere between 112 and 120 stock.

Camopaint was at 133 WHP with an injen CAI, 2.25 cat back exhaust to apexi muffler on a mustang.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

It all depends on the dyno, get on a mustang it will give you a number like 120 then drive down the road and hop on a dyno pac and you will get something like 130-135.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The results on a dyno vary depending on climate, air density, and other factors, but I see that the 09 has 155hp and 150lbs torque according to Edmunds.com. I would imagine they really didnt change much between 07-09.

I have seen a few LS's carrying the power doors/windows. I would imagine 115-120WHP is average on the car. Its not a whole heck of power, but you also need to put into perspective, that it gets up to 37Hwy MPG which is very impressive.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Yup there is 3 or 4 on .net anywhere between 112 and 120 stock.

Camopaint was at 133 WHP with an injen CAI, 2.25 cat back exhaust to apexi muffler on a mustang.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

It all depends on the dyno, get on a mustang it will give you a number like 120 then drive down the road and hop on a dyno pac and you will get something like 130-135.
exactly. Different dynos would give you different results. Personally, I would collect dyno data from a certain amount of cobalts on each type of dyno and then average it to get a good idea of stock whp. Also the 09's do have more kick then the previous years with less hp. No huge difference but still helps. I would imagine mine is between 120-130whp though. A turbo should help that problem out :p

·
Registered
252 Posts
The results on a dyno vary depending on climate, air density, and other factors, but I see that the 09 has 155hp and 150lbs torque according to Edmunds.com. I would imagine they really didnt change much between 07-09.
Direct injection became standard at some point, in earlier models it was only the xfe. Non DI cars have 148 hp.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ah gotcha...Thats why my XFE has 155hp, hmm. Interesting. I always thought that XFE stood for Xtra Fuel Efficient, lol.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
do the hp #'s really matter for a stock 16 second car?:toung:
Agreed. The cobalt is not really designed as a 1/4 mile drag car, lol. Its supposed to be a commuter and fun to drive type of vehicle.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Agreed. The cobalt is not really designed as a 1/4 mile drag car, lol. Its supposed to be a commuter and fun to drive type of vehicle.

Agreed, It will take a good amount of money to get a Balt to some nice numbers while still be practical as a daily driver without having issues hooking up

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Agreed, It will take a good amount of money to get a Balt to some nice numbers while still be practical as a daily driver without having issues hooking up
uh...actually the cobalt has got a lot of potential...I mean compared to other cars in its price range (especially the base models)...slap a turbo and it's good on stock motor up to 250whp...and the stock block until about 500whp...not too shabby at all!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I know they are good potential however there is no replacement for displacement. If you want to get good gains your going to see best results from a larger motor such as a v-8. Trust me i am not hating on the Cobalts, they are a fun car and I enjoyed mine

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
v8 = twice the money to build your 4 cylinder. i decided to keep with the 2.2 because that's what i've always driven with my cavalier ad corsica before his. i love it. hell of a motor and takes all the beating. provided this is my first stick shift. i have had it for nearly 20k miles, i have not had one issue with it. i upgrade parts and haven't had to replace a single regular part. these cars DO have a lot of potential. my kill list on turbo 4's, 6's, and also v8's is decent for just basic bolt ons and a tune. can't wait for boost!

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

btw i am drunk as **** and rambling

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
w00t!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Stock dyno numbers for my car: 124 whp, 134 lb-ft of torque.

I like how this thread went way off topic

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.