Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....which is better a short ram intake or a cold air intake?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cold air intake, it lets more cold air into the motor which in return produces more power

·
Registered
130 Posts
No problem at all, thats what we're here for

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have there been dyno results to prove that, on a 2.2 cobalt intake for intake, a cold air adds more power? ive raced several cobalts that had injen, aem, and fujita. ive beaten them all and i have a weapon r short ram. all were autos and so is mine. just wondering.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Typically a short intake will let a higher volume of air into the engine at a higher temperature because its pulling the air from the engine compartment. A cold air intake pulls air from outside the engine compartment so in theory its colder but unless the intake tubing is insulated its going to heat up and in turn heat up the air.

·
Registered
74 Posts
thats most likely because you have that weapon R filter on which offers more air flow. i looked into that intake before i bought my injen and i found that the filter reacts badly to moisture and is not good during foggy nights or high humidity or water in general. Thats why most people who order those intakes dont even use the filter that comes with it and instead they get a injen or aem filter. Which will inturn make you slower than the rest of the CAI cobalts. Cold air offers more dyno horsepower than short rams on our cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I want to see proof of your insinuations 07ls sport. i havent had a bit of troubles with humidity or water. in my opinion the cai will be more prone to water and moisture because it is closer to the bottom of the car where splashing and all the other moisture is present. it just doesnt make sense that intake for intake, im beating CAI's with my SRI.

fast=lane added 4 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

I actually found that the SRI version of the K&N typhoon adds 7hp and the CAI version adds 6.6hp. Im going to see what the kids were hauling because that little bit of difference wouldn't determine a race. weight has to be the issue.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Generally all aftermarket intakes will net you about 5-10 extra hp. While I'm not coming from having personally seen dyno results, most of the places you can by them will say on the product page that the intake is dyno proven to add (X)hp.

I personally will be going with the Injen CAI because of the design for the 2.2. It goes across and drops down through the whole where the airbox is currently and the filter hangs pretty much where the resonator is currently. The wheel well has an extension that extends to the front of the car directly underneath where the filter will be. I believe this should eliminate the worry of water/dirt/rocks and your intake. While at the same time pulling in theoretically colder air in from outside the engine bay as montecarloman stated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My stock air box has SAI and I read from turbotechracing.com that Injen CAI doesn't have the SAI hook up with it. So, is it ok to get Injen even though it doesn't have SAI??

·
Registered
33 Posts
K&N makes an intake that comes with a hookup to compensate for the SAI. Mine has the SAI as well so I went the K&N route and have been very happy with it. If you go with the injen tho I believe there are other options in dealing with the SAI, but if you just leave it hanging and disconnected it will throw a CEL.

·
Banned
161 Posts
i did some putsing around with my dash hawk this weekend and found that my full cold air runs 2 degrees hotter then the outside temp and the sri runs 9 degrees hotter then outside temps. i wouldnt mind seeing what the difference on the dyno would be i bet its a 2 crank hp difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.